What is the nature of sound from the quantum perspective?

In summary: All of this is in principle exact, but approximations are needed for practical calculations.In summary, sound is a mechanical wave that is a propagation of atmospheric pressure in a medium in the classical interpretation. In the quantum realm, it becomes more complicated and there are interesting connections to light and other phenomena. However, the energies involved make it unnecessary to consider at a quantum level. There are also related phenomena such as photo-acoustics and phonons which are quantized mechanical waves. In many-body quantum theory, macroscopic phenomena like sound can be derived as approximations to the full quantum many-body dynamics.
Double-Slit
So sound is a mechanical wave usually a propagation of atmospheric pressure in a medium in the classical interpretation.I`m curious what happens in the quantum realm ? Also if this pressure force is giving kinetic energy to those atoms,but due to friction is also generates heat energy,and with heat energy affecting electrons in atoms they release their energy via by creating a photon,so in this sense we could think that sound creates light (low frequency light of course),can we make an analogy between the two ? But more i`m curious what is the nature of sound in the quantum scale (what is that wave made of ) the kinetic energy of the atoms or the atoms themselves called "wave" in classical mechanics,or else? (I know it's a silly question but why do we call it a wave anyway)

Physics news on Phys.org
Double-Slit said:
So sound is a mechanical wave usually a propagation of atmospheric pressure in a medium in the classical interpretation.I`m curious what happens in the quantum realm ? Also if this pressure force is giving kinetic energy to those atoms,but due to friction is also generates heat energy,and with heat energy affecting electrons in atoms they release their energy via by creating a photon,so in this sense we could think that sound creates light (low frequency light of course),can we make an analogy between the two ? But more i`m curious what is the nature of sound in the quantum scale (what is that wave made of ) the kinetic energy of the atoms or the atoms themselves called "wave" in classical mechanics,or else? (I know it's a silly question but why do we call it a wave anyway)

There is a lot going on here and I think the question may be a bit vague for one answer. Sound waves that you can hear don't really have a good quantum explanation. Technically they do if everything is emergent from quantum mechanics, but the energies involved make the consideration of the system at a quantum level an unnecessary hassle. However, there are a lot of interesting things to think about here.

1) Photo-acoustics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoacoustic_imaging_in_biomedicine. One of my friends is working on this sort of thing. I knew that in theory it was possible, but didn't realize it was actually useful until about a year ago (when my friend told me about his work). This is sort of the opposite of what you were talking about, but related.

2)Phonon. Not really sound waves in the sense that we might think, but these are mechanical waves that are quantized. I mainly know about them from ion-trap qubits, but they come up in condensed matter physics as well.

Sound is a macroscopic collective oscillation of a medium. In many-body quantum theory, which you most conveniently treat as quantum field theory (socalled "second quantization", which is, however a misnomer, because there is only one quantum theory, be it in its non-relativistic or relativistic form). Then macroscopic phenomena like sound waves, classical electromagnetic waves, etc. appear as appropriate mean-field parts in the many-body equations (Kadanoff-Baym equations). You can derive the macroscopic equations (Boltzmann, Fokker-Planck/Langevin, hydro, etc.) as approximations to the full quantum many-body dynamics.

Related to What is the nature of sound from the quantum perspective?

1. What is sound on a quantum level?

Sound on a quantum level is a form of energy that is carried by vibrating particles, such as atoms or molecules, in a medium such as air or water. It is a mechanical wave that travels through the medium and can be perceived by our ears.

2. How does sound behave differently on a quantum level compared to a classical level?

On a quantum level, sound behaves differently because it is made up of individual particles that can only exist in certain energy states. This means that sound can only be produced and detected in discrete units or "quanta", rather than continuously like in classical physics.

3. Can sound exist in a vacuum from a quantum perspective?

No, sound cannot exist in a vacuum from a quantum perspective. In order for sound to propagate, it needs a medium to travel through, such as air or water. In a vacuum, there are no particles for sound to vibrate and therefore, no sound can be produced.

4. How is the concept of frequency related to sound on a quantum level?

Frequency is a measure of the number of sound waves passing through a point in a given time. In quantum physics, frequency is related to the energy of the particles that make up the sound waves. The higher the frequency, the higher the energy of the particles and the more "quantum" the sound becomes.

5. Can sound be described using quantum mechanics?

Yes, sound can be described using quantum mechanics. In fact, the study of sound from a quantum perspective is known as "quantum acoustics" and has applications in fields such as quantum computing and information processing.