What is the Operator Method for Deriving the Euler-Maclaurin Formula?

• Thread starter DarkNess_wtc
  • Start date
In summary, the Operator Method is a mathematical technique used to derive the Euler-Maclaurin formula, which is a method for approximating integrals using a finite number of terms. This method involves applying an operator to the function being integrated, which allows for the integration by parts to be repeated multiple times. This results in a series expansion of the integral, which can then be manipulated to obtain the Euler-Maclaurin formula. This formula is useful in numerical analysis and has applications in various fields, such as physics and engineering.
DarkNess_wtc
i have thought about that for serval days= =

please help

attachment.php?attachmentid=23523&stc=1&d=1265280816.jpg

Attachments

• Noname.jpg
    Noname.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
It is 35.565955205923352

But I can't tell you about [tex]\sum_{2}^{n} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}.[/tex]

how about steps?

Just entered into the calculator.

i want solving it without cal

In what form do u want the answer.
you can approximate the sum by integral 1/sqrt(n) between 1 and 19.
notice that 19^2 is 361
that is 2(19-1) = 36
The answer is close enough

>that is 2(19-1) = 36

HOW come to this step?

[tex] \sum_{1}^{361} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} [/tex]
is approximately equal to
[tex] \int_{1}^{361} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}. [/tex] =[tex]2(\sqrt{a}-\sqrt{b})[/tex]
=[tex]2(\sqrt{361}-\sqrt{1})[/tex]
=36

Last edited:
Why do you think there is any answer better than 35.565955205923352 ??

I don't think there's an analytical solution, but you can approximate it.
First approximation is integral,

Next approximations would involve some play with operators.

Let's define [tex]D\equiv \frac{d}{dx}[/tex] as the derivative operator, and observe the operator [tex]\sigma \equiv e^{D}[/tex]

Functions of operators are defined via their Taylor Series, so:

[tex]e^{D} f=\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}\frac{D^{k}f(x)}{k!}=\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}\frac{1}{k!}\frac{d^{k}f(x)}{dx^{k}}(x+1-x)^k=f(x+1)[/tex]

(Notice that the last sum is the Taylor Series of f(z) around the point x)

So [tex]\sigma[/tex] is some sort of a delay\shift operator.

Let's now observe the operator S defined as

[tex]F(n)=Sf=\sum^{n}_{k=1}f(k)[/tex]

You can notice that [tex]\sigma Sf=\sum^{n+1}_{k=1}f(k)[/tex]

So [tex]\sigma S f-Sf=f(n+1)=\sigma f[/tex]

And conclude [tex]S(\sigma -1)=\sigma[/tex]

And if you recall the definition of [tex]\sigma[/tex] then:

[tex]S=(1-\sigma^{-1})^{-1}=\frac{1}{1-e^{-D}}[/tex]

[tex]S(D-\frac{D^{2}}{2}+\frac{D^{3}}{6}-...)=1[/tex]

Knowing the expansion of the exponential function, you can approximate the Taylor expansion of S. The interesting fact is that S has a simple pole at "D=0", which means that in the expansion of S you will have a negative power of D:

[tex]S=D^{-1}+...[/tex]

Which means that integration (the inverse of D) is the first approximation to discrete summation.

A better approximation would be

[tex]S=D^{-1}+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}D[/tex]

Operate S on [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex]
And get:

[tex]\sum^{n}_{k=2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}=\int^{n}_{k=2}\frac{dk}{\sqrt{k}}+\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}}-\frac{1}{8n\sqrt{n}}[/tex]

And after some tiresome calculation for n=361

[tex]=35.1977[/tex]

Which I think is a pretty good approximation, if only to show that the operator thing is correct.
Taking further derivatives would make a better approximation.

You can also use the first 5 terms of the http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/EulerMaclaurinSummationFormula.html" (i.e. the integral, the terms involving the first derivative, and the terms involving the second derivative) to approximate the sum as follows :

[tex]
S_n = \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{\sqrt{i}}\approx 2\sqrt{n} +\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{24n\sqrt{n}} -
\frac{35}{24}
[/tex]

The result is then :

[tex]
S_{361} \approx 36.56797638
[/tex]

The error relative to the true result is about 0.0055%.

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli_numbers" if the first Bernoulli number is chosen according to the convention [tex]B_1 = -1/2[/tex] then the Euler–MacLaurin formula is :

[tex]
\sum\limits_{a\leq k<b}f(k)=\int_a^b f(x)\,dx \ + \sum\limits_{k=1}^m \frac{B_k}{k!}\left(f^{(k-1)}(b)-f^{(k-1)}(a)\right)+R(f,m).
[/tex]

whereas if we choose the convention [tex]B_1 = 1/2[/tex], then the Euler–MacLaurin formula is :

[tex]
\sum\limits_{a<k\leq b} f(k)=\int_a^b f(x)\,dx + \sum\limits_{k=1}^m \frac{B_k}{k!} \left(f^{(k-1)}(b)-f^{(k-1)}(a)\right)+R(f,m). \
[/tex]

i can't understand
[tex]

S_n = \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{\sqrt{i}}\approx 2\sqrt{n} +\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{24n\sqrt{n}} -
\frac{35}{24}

[/tex]

can you explain it please?

All I am doing is substituting [tex]f(n) = 1/\sqrt{n}[/tex] into the Euler-Maclaurin formula. This time from Mathworld (since the formula is expanded in full), the http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Euler-MaclaurinIntegrationFormulas.html" formula can be written as :

[tex]
\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}f(k)=\int_0^n f(k) dk-1/2[f(n)-f(0)]+1/(12)[f^{'}(n)-f^{'}(0)]-1/(720)[f^{'''}(n)-f^{'''}(0)]+1/(30240)[f^{(5)}(n)-f^{(5)}(0)]-1/(1209600)[f^{(7)}(n)-f^{(7)}(0)]+...
[/tex]

Note that i have written [tex]1/2[f(n)-f(0)][/tex] instead of [tex]1/2[f(n)+f(0)][/tex]. The former is consistent with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli_number" .

Then I make the approximation :

[tex]
\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}f(k)\approx \int_0^n f(k)dk-1/2[f(n)-f(0)]+1/(12)[f^{'}(n)-f^{'}(0)]
[/tex]

Then I substitute [tex]f(k) = 1/\sqrt{k}[/tex], and then add [tex]f(n)[/tex] to the result since the summation in the formula is up to [tex](n-1)[/tex] where as we want it up to [tex]n[/tex]

All you have to do is to subsitute [tex]f(k) = 1/\sqrt{k}[/tex] into the formula above, and verify my result.

Related to What is the Operator Method for Deriving the Euler-Maclaurin Formula?

What is a very difficult problem?

A very difficult problem is a complex issue or challenge that is hard to solve or understand. It can range from scientific problems to personal or societal problems.

Why is it important to solve difficult problems?

Solving difficult problems can lead to advancements and improvements in various fields and can also lead to personal growth and development. It can also help improve the quality of life for individuals and society as a whole.

What are some characteristics of a difficult problem?

Difficult problems often have multiple layers and require critical thinking and creativity to solve. They may also involve conflicting perspectives and require a systematic approach to address.

How can one approach solving a difficult problem?

One approach to solving a difficult problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to gather information and perspectives from different sources and to brainstorm potential solutions.

Can difficult problems ever be fully solved?

Difficult problems may not have a clear-cut solution, but they can be improved upon or managed. Continuous efforts to tackle difficult problems can lead to progress and advancements in various fields.