What is the Origin of the Word 'Hobby'?

• Thread starter hume
  • Start date
In summary, the word 'hobby' originated from the 14th century Old French word 'hobi' meaning "small horse" or "pony." It then evolved to mean "favorite pastime" in the 16th century, possibly due to the leisurely activities of wealthy horse owners. The word has since become popularized and is now used to describe any activity done for pleasure or relaxation.
hume
How did you find PF?
Google search
Hi everyone. A novice here. I'm a software developer by profession. I don't have a science background but like to learn about physics as a hobby. Looking forward to reading the fora here. Thank you!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

Have fun and stay curious!

Likes hume
hume said:
Hi everyone. A novice here. I'm a software developer by profession. I don't have a science background but like to learn about physics as a hobby. Looking forward to reading the fora here. Thank you!
You found the right place! Enjoy PF. :smile:

Likes hume
Lots of good folks here. Welcome

Likes hume
hume said:
Welcome to the forum. I learned a new word today. Thanks.

phinds said:
I learned a new word today.
Here I was assuming all along that you HAD taken Latin.o:)

Related to What is the Origin of the Word 'Hobby'?

1. What is the literal meaning of the word "hobby"?

The word "hobby" comes from the Middle English word "hobyn" which means "small horse" or "pony".

2. When was the word "hobby" first used?

The word "hobby" was first used in the 14th century, around the year 1375.

3. How did the word "hobby" come to mean a leisure activity?

The word "hobby" was originally used to describe a type of horse used for sport or entertainment. Over time, it came to be associated with activities that people did for pleasure or relaxation, rather than for work.

4. Are there any other words related to "hobby"?

Yes, the word "hobby" is related to the word "hobnob", which means to socialize or associate with others in a friendly, informal way. Both words are derived from the same root word "hobyn".

5. How has the meaning of the word "hobby" evolved over time?

The meaning of "hobby" has evolved from its original definition of a type of horse to a leisure activity or interest pursued for pleasure. It has also been used to describe a particular skill or talent that a person enjoys practicing in their free time.