What is the Probability of a Sample Having Access to Clean Drinking Water?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the probability that over 40% of a sample of families will have access to clean drinking water, with one case using the binomial distribution and the other using the Gaussian distribution. The solution involved calculating the mean and standard deviation, and then using the central limit theorem to approximate the probability. The final answer was found to be 0.728.
conrad dunk
Getting ahead with my S1 & S2 for my further maths mods next year, really stuck on this particular question, as there is no such successive trials etc, please help me solve, so i can make some actual sense of what the hell is going on! Cheers,

roughly that the portion of families with
access to clean drinking water is equal to 0.55. Find the probability that of a
sample n, over 40% will have clean drinking water i n=6 binomial
distribution, and ii n=600 Gaussian distribution

Physics news on Phys.org
Set ##p=0.55## to be the probability that a randomly chosen family will have access to clean water. For the first case you are asking the probability that 3, 4, 5 or 6 families will have access to clean water (that is over 40% of 6). So you essentially sum the probalities ##P(3)## to ##P(6)##, using thee formula for binomial distribution (probability mass function).

For the second case you use the cummulative distribution function for the gaussian distribution. The justification is the central limiting theorem, which allows you to approximate the binomial distribution by the normal distribution for large ##n##. You will need to calculate the mean and variance (formulas given by the binomial distribution). You may be given a table (you can use a graphical calculator or wolfram alpha) that allows you to compute the CDF. So in your case you need to compute ##1-CDF(240)##, which is the probability that over 40% of the 600 families will have access to clean water.

Last edited:
Likes conrad dunk
Hi lucas, thanks for your quick response, if possible please could show me the solution to the second the problem? I am new to gaussian, watched a few youtube tutorials, but I've been on this problem for a few hours now and just need to see how it's broken down and solved. Thanks again for your help Lucas!

Likes Lucas SV
conrad dunk said:
Hi lucas, thanks for your quick response, if possible please could show me the solution to the second the problem? I am new to gaussian, watched a few youtube tutorials, but I've been on this problem for a few hours now and just need to see how it's broken down and solved. Thanks again for your help Lucas!

Sure! The mean is ##np=600*0.55=330## and the standard deviation is ##np(1-p)=600*0.55*0.45=148.5##. Then according to http://www.danielsoper.com/statcalc/calculator.aspx?id=53, with ##x=240=0.4*600##, I find essentially find the area under the normal distribution function from ##-\infty## to ##x##, to be ##0.2722##. The answer then is ##1-0.2722=0.728## (to 3 significant figures), which is the area under the graph from 240 to ##+\infty##. You can check the result in a table or a different calculator and it will be the same.

Note that the central limit theorem tells us that this is a good approximation for large enough ##n## and for ##x## which is sufficiently close to the mean. The reason why you approximate is because it requires a lot of computational power to compute probabilities exactly (the way you did in part a) for large ##n## in a binomial distribution (which describes the probability of ##k## successes in ##n## trials).

Likes conrad dunk
Jesus Christ that makes sense, Lucas you are the man, thank you very much !

Likes Lucas SV

Related to What is the Probability of a Sample Having Access to Clean Drinking Water?

1. What is the difference between A level S1 and S2 Bionomial?

A level S1 and S2 Bionomial are both levels of education in the subject of Bionomial, but they differ in terms of depth and complexity. S1 is the introductory level and covers basic concepts, while S2 is the advanced level and delves deeper into the subject with more complex topics and applications.

2. How can I prepare for A level S1 and S2 Bionomial exams?

To prepare for A level S1 and S2 Bionomial exams, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the concepts taught in class. Practice solving problems and past exam questions, and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed. It is also helpful to create study guides and summaries to review before the exams.

3. What kind of jobs can I get with A level S1 and S2 Bionomial?

A level S1 and S2 Bionomial can lead to a variety of careers in the field of biology, such as research scientists, lab technicians, healthcare professionals, and more. It can also open up opportunities in other fields such as environmental science, biotechnology, and pharmaceuticals.

4. Are there any resources available for A level S1 and S2 Bionomial?

Yes, there are many resources available for A level S1 and S2 Bionomial, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice questions, and study guides. Your school or local library may also have additional resources that you can use for studying.

5. Is A level S1 and S2 Bionomial necessary for a career in biology?

A level S1 and S2 Bionomial is not a mandatory requirement for a career in biology, but it can greatly enhance your understanding and knowledge of the subject. It also provides a solid foundation for further education in the field of biology, such as pursuing a degree in the subject or related fields.