What is the purpose of NaBH4 in this coboxalamine alkylation?

• Thread starter Mayhem
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of borohydride in reducing cobalt from Co(III) to Co(I), creating a strongly nucleophilic intermediate that displaces the iodide in the alkylation step. It is believed that the hydride binds to the bromine, producing HBr and possibly bromide ion in slightly alkaline conditions. The NaBH4 is stabilized in KOH as the solvent and the conversation ends with a clarification that the discussion was not a homework question.
Mayhem
1649018842712.png

I am unsure what its role is. My intuition is that it somehow creates a reactive, nucleophilic intermediate which can perform SN2 on ethyl iodide, but my knowledge of the Co-Br bond is sparse and I need some pointers.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The borohydride reduces the cobalt from Co(III) to Co(I), which is strongly nucleophilic and displaces the iodide in the alkylation step.

Likes Mayhem
TeethWhitener said:
The borohydride reduces the cobalt from Co(III) to Co(I), which is strongly nucleophilic and displaces the iodide in the alkylation step.
Thank you very much. What happens to the bromide substiuent?

Mayhem said:
Thank you very much. What happens to the bromide substiuent?
I’ve honestly never really thought about it before. I imagine the hydride binds to the bromine, pushing the electron pair from the Co-Br bond onto the cobalt center. So you’ll get HBr out, but these reactions are often done under slightly alkaline conditions, so it’ll probably be bromide ion at the end.

TeethWhitener said:
I’ve honestly never really thought about it before. I imagine the hydride binds to the bromine, pushing the electron pair from the Co-Br bond onto the cobalt center. So you’ll get HBr out, but these reactions are often done under slightly alkaline conditions, so it’ll probably be bromide ion at the end.
Yes, the NaBH4 is stabilized in KOH as the solvent is MeOH in this case. I turned in the assignment the other night, so I guess we will just wait and see.

• Sad
Likes TeethWhitener
Homework problems are supposed to be posted in the homework sections.

TeethWhitener said:
Homework problems are supposed to be posted in the homework sections.
Eh, these were pre-lab safety schemes. I didn't consider it homework in the traditional sense.

Related to What is the purpose of NaBH4 in this coboxalamine alkylation?

What is the purpose of NaBH4 in this coboxalamine alkylation?

The purpose of NaBH4 in this coboxalamine alkylation is to act as a reducing agent. It is used to reduce the cobalt (III) ions to cobalt (II) ions, which are necessary for the alkylation reaction to occur.

How does NaBH4 act as a reducing agent in this reaction?

NaBH4 is a strong reducing agent due to its ability to donate hydrogen atoms. In this reaction, it donates a hydrogen atom to the cobalt (III) ions, causing them to be reduced to cobalt (II) ions. This reduction allows for the alkylation reaction to take place.

Why is NaBH4 specifically chosen as the reducing agent in this reaction?

NaBH4 is chosen as the reducing agent in this reaction because it is highly reactive and selective. It only reduces the cobalt (III) ions and does not react with other components in the reaction mixture, making it a suitable choice for this specific reaction.

What other roles does NaBH4 play in this coboxalamine alkylation?

In addition to its role as a reducing agent, NaBH4 also acts as a source of hydride ions, which are necessary for the alkylation reaction to occur. It also helps to stabilize the cobalt (II) ions formed during the reduction process.

Are there any potential side reactions or limitations associated with using NaBH4 in this reaction?

One potential side reaction that can occur is the over-reduction of the cobalt (III) ions to cobalt (I) ions. This can be minimized by carefully controlling the amount of NaBH4 used. Additionally, NaBH4 may not be suitable for reactions that require a milder reducing agent.