What is the rate of change for the area of the rectangle?

In summary, The conversation is about a math problem involving a rectangle on a curve. The area of the rectangle is changing as the point passes a specific position and the rate of change is given. The progress made includes differentiating the equation of the curve with respect to time and finding the value of \d{y}{t}. There was a mistake initially but it was corrected and the final answer for the rate of change of the area was found to be 7 units^2 per second. There was also a discussion on how to include text in $\LaTeX$.
Dethrone
Since it's the summer, I might as well take advantage of all the math helpers on the site :cool: (yay!)

I'm pretty rusted when it comes to related rates, so it'd be great if someone checked my work :D

Problem:
A rectangle has two sides along the positive coordinate axes and its upper right corner lies on the curve: $x^3-2xy^2+y^3+1=0$. How fast is the area of the rectangle changing as the point passes the position $(2,3)$ if it is moving at $\d{x}{t}=1$ units per second?

Progress:
$$A_r (x,y)=xy$$

Differentiating both sides w.r.t $t$:
$$\d{A_r}{t}=y\d{x}{t}+x\d{y}{t}$$

Plugging what we know:
$$\d{A_r}{t}=(1)(3)+(2)\d{y}{t}$$

We still need $\d{y}{t}$, which is where I'm not sure how to get. The only thing I can think of is to differentiate the given equation of the curve with respect to time, and then plug in $x$, $y$ and $\d{x}{t}$ which I get $\d{y}{t}=\frac{6}{51}$. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You method is solid, but I get a different value for \(\displaystyle \d{y}{t}\). Can you show your work?

No problem :D

$$x^3-2xy^2+y^3+1=0$$

Differentiating with respect to $t$:
$$3x^2\d{x}{t}-2\d{x}{t}y^2+2y\d{y}{t}(-2x)+3y^2\d{y}{t}=0$$
$$3(4)(1)-2(1)(9)+(6)\d{y}{t}(-4)+3(9)\d{y}{t}=0$$
$$-6-24\d{y}{t}+27\d{y}{t}=0$$
$$\d{y}{t}=2$$

Found a mistake, accidentally forget a negative side somewhere.

Okay, good, that's the value I found as well. :D

The rest is easy now:

$$\d{A_r}{t}=(1)(3)+(2)(2)$$
\(\displaystyle \d{A_r}{t}=7\) units^2 per second

How do I include text in $\LaTeX$?

Rido12 said:
The rest is easy now:

$$\d{A_r}{t}=(1)(3)+(2)(2)$$
\(\displaystyle \d{A_r}{t}=7\) units^2 per second

How do I include text in $\LaTeX$?

Just say that it is "text".
Like this: \text{ units\$^2\$ per second}. ;)

\(\displaystyle \d{A_r}{t}=7 \text{ units$^2$ per second}\)

The dollars make sure that the square is in math mode again.

Here's another approach:

Use frac{\text{units}^2}{\text{s}}...e.g.:

\(\displaystyle \d{A_r}{t}=7\frac{\text{units}^2}{\text{s}}\)

What is the concept of related rates in a rectangle?

The concept of related rates in a rectangle involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable in a rectangle, where the two variables are related to each other through a mathematical equation.

What are the common variables involved in related rates of a rectangle?

The common variables involved in related rates of a rectangle are typically length, width, and area. These variables are related to each other through the equation A = lw, where A represents area, l represents length, and w represents width.

What is the process for solving a related rates problem involving a rectangle?

The process for solving a related rates problem involving a rectangle is to first identify the given information and the variables involved. Then, use the appropriate equation to express the relationship between the variables. Finally, use implicit differentiation and the chain rule to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to the other.

What are some real-world applications of related rates in a rectangle?

Related rates in a rectangle are commonly used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving changing dimensions or areas. For example, related rates can be used to determine the flow rate of liquid through a rectangular pipe or the rate of change of surface area of a rectangular prism.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems involving a rectangle?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems involving a rectangle include not properly identifying the given information and variables, not using the correct equation for the relationship between the variables, and making errors in the differentiation process. It is important to carefully read the problem and double check all calculations to avoid these errors.