What is the relationship between biotechnology and biomedical engineering?

In summary, genetic engineering of animals falls under the fields of both Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineering, although one could argue for it being a sub-component of either. Biotechnology involves the interaction of biological processes with technology, while Biomedical Engineering may involve the design and development of prosthetics and orthotics. However, the labels are not always clearly defined and can vary between institutions and individuals.
ƒ(x)
I'm interested in the genetic engineering of animals, but I don't know what field of science that falls under specifically. I've found that it is both Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineering. Is BME is a sub-component of Biotech?

Physics news on Phys.org
ƒ(x) said:
Is BME is a sub-component of Biotech?

I wouldn't say so, though you could easily argue the opposite. Loosely, to me, biotechnology involves the interaction of biological processes with technology - things like tissue engineering (though, this is also biomedical engineering!). To give an example of the opposite, I feel that things like the design and development of prosthetics & orthotics would count as biomedical engineering but not biotechnology.

I'm not sure I'd say genetic engineering is either, I'd probably just call it genetics as a sub of molecular biology. This all said, I don't really think the labels are all that important, though one tends to develop preferences for ones own description. I know people in medical physics/clinical science (whom are labelled clinical scientists or medical physicists) who, nonetheless, market themselves as clinical engineers.

fasterthanjoao said:
I wouldn't say so, though you could easily argue the opposite. Loosely, to me, biotechnology involves the interaction of biological processes with technology - things like tissue engineering (though, this is also biomedical engineering!). To give an example of the opposite, I feel that things like the design and development of prosthetics & orthotics would count as biomedical engineering but not biotechnology.

I'm not sure I'd say genetic engineering is either, I'd probably just call it genetics as a sub of molecular biology. This all said, I don't really think the labels are all that important, though one tends to develop preferences for ones own description. I know people in medical physics/clinical science (whom are labelled clinical scientists or medical physicists) who, nonetheless, market themselves as clinical engineers.

Ok, thank you. I was wanting to know because colleges sometimes classify their courses as Biomedical Engineering or Biotechnology.

Related to What is the relationship between biotechnology and biomedical engineering?

1. What is a major?

A major is the primary subject or field of study that a student chooses to focus on during their academic career. It typically consists of a set of required and elective courses that provide a comprehensive understanding of a particular subject area.

2. How do I choose a major?

Choosing a major is a personal decision that can be influenced by your interests, skills, and career goals. It is important to research different majors, talk to academic advisors or career counselors, and take courses in various subject areas to help you make an informed decision.

3. Can I change my major?

Yes, it is possible to change your major during your academic career. However, the process for changing majors may vary depending on your school's policies. It is important to speak with your academic advisor or the appropriate department to determine the steps necessary to change your major.

4. What is a double major?

A double major is when a student chooses to pursue two different majors simultaneously. This may require taking additional courses and can be a challenging but rewarding option for students who have a strong interest in multiple subjects.

5. How does a major relate to a career?

A major can directly or indirectly relate to a career, depending on the subject area. Some majors, such as nursing or engineering, have a direct correlation to a specific career path. Other majors, such as psychology or sociology, may have a broader application and can lead to various career opportunities. It is important to research potential career paths and speak with a career counselor to understand how a major can align with your career goals.