What is the relationship between frequency and energy in matter waves?

In summary: E= ħ∨In summary, the equation f= E/h is mentioned in a discussion about the energy of photons. E refers to the inertial energy, which includes both kinetic and rest energy. The Schrodinger equation for free particles is used to understand this equation, and it is derived by taking the derivative of the wave function. However, there seems to be confusion about whether E refers to non-relativistic kinetic energy or relativistic energy. Further clarification is needed to fully understand the context of this equation.
VHAHAHA
in my book ,their is a equation

f= E/h

what is the E means?
Total energy?
Does it includes the rest energy ?

Physics news on Phys.org
VHAHAHA said:

f= E/h

what is the E means?
Total energy?

This is a good place for you to learn a bit more on how we do things on here.

Never, ever simply quote an equation without proper context.

For example, under what type of discussion was this equation used? Was it trying to explain the energy of photons? Or was it for some other purposes? Have you seen this equation before with regards to photon energy? Etc... etc... Can you see why simply dumping that equation out of nowhere provides us very little to go on with regards to what YOU are seeing in your text?

Zz.

VHAHAHA said:

f= E/h

what is the E means?
Total energy?
It is not the total energy since it does not include a potential energy term. However it does incluideit does include kinetic energy.

If, h = Planck's constant and f =frequency of matter wave, then

E = "inertial energy" = Kinetic Energy + Rest Energy

It is not the total energy since it does not include a potential energy term. However it does incluideit does include kinetic energy.
:confused: Of course it includes both kinetic and potential energy. A stationary state for a particle in a potential well is described by ψ ~ exp(iEt/ħ) where E is an eigenvalue of H = p2/2m + V(x).

if the terms includes rest energy
i will not understand the Schrodinger equation
the schrodinger equ
if the terms includes rest energy i will not understand the Schrodinger equation the schrodinger equ for free particle
[PLAIN]http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/%E2%80%8Chbase/quantum/imgqua/seq1.gif
for free particle U=0 and the second term is eliminated
and
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/%E2%80%8Chbase/quantum/imgqua/seq2.gif
sub ψ into the schrodinger equ for free particle
and take the derivative
we got
(ħ^2)(k^2) / 2m = ħw
if E= homework = rel. energy
why can i get (ħ^2)(k^2) / 2m = ħw?
i mean, (ħ^2)(k^2) / 2m = p^2/2m where p is the momentum
and E will be equal to non-rel. KE energy only , but there is no rest energy included!
Plz help =(

STEPS are included

reference: Modern physics second edition , international ed, RANDY HARRIS p.110 - 112

Attachments

• step.jpg
    step.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 648
Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
This is a good place for you to learn a bit more on how we do things on here.

Never, ever simply quote an equation without proper context.

For example, under what type of discussion was this equation used? Was it trying to explain the energy of photons? Or was it for some other purposes? Have you seen this equation before with regards to photon energy? Etc... etc... Can you see why simply dumping that equation out of nowhere provides us very little to go on with regards to what YOU are seeing in your text?

Zz.

Actually, i originally think that it refers to KE+rest energy , ie rel. energy
but what i get from the Schrodinger equation for free particles tells that E= non-rel. KE only

you can see the reply for more details. Plz help me, i spend a week to find the ans but i still can figure it out

Isn't the equation E= ħ∨ used for photon

In my knowledge ,
we first calculate λ from λ= ħ/p , then use equation v=λ∨ ==> λ=v/∨
==>
v/∨=ħ/p
==>
∨=pv/h
==>
∨=mv2/h

Related to What is the relationship between frequency and energy in matter waves?

1. What is the frequency of the matter wave?

The frequency of the matter wave refers to the number of oscillations per unit time of a particle's wave function. It is directly related to the energy of the particle, with higher energy particles having a higher frequency.

2. How is the frequency of the matter wave calculated?

The frequency of the matter wave can be calculated using the de Broglie wavelength equation: f = E/h, where f is the frequency, E is the energy of the particle, and h is Planck's constant.

3. Does the frequency of the matter wave change for different particles?

Yes, the frequency of the matter wave can vary for different particles depending on their energy levels. This is because the energy of a particle is directly proportional to its frequency.

4. How does the frequency of the matter wave relate to the speed of a particle?

The frequency of the matter wave is not directly related to the speed of a particle. However, the energy of a particle, which is directly related to its frequency, does affect its speed through the equation E = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is its velocity.

5. Can the frequency of the matter wave be observed?

No, the frequency of the matter wave cannot be directly observed. It is a property of quantum particles and can only be calculated using mathematical equations.