What is the solution of x*exp(-x)=1?

• Thread starter Odyssey
  • Start date
In summary, the solution of the equation x*exp(-x)=1 cannot be found as there is no solution. This can be shown by taking the natural log of both sides and simplifying to get ln(x)-x=0. By analyzing the function f(x)=ln(x)-x, it can be seen that it never equals zero, therefore there is no solution. Other methods such as graphing can also be used to show that there is no intersection between the two sides of the equation.
Odyssey

Homework Statement

What is the solution of the equation x*exp(-x)=1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking the ln of both sides...and I got
ln(x*exp(-x))=ln(1)
ln(x)-ln(exp(x))=ln(1)
ln(x)-x=ln(1)

Then I don't know what to do next...am I on the right track at least?

Thanks for the help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]xe^{-x}=1[/tex]

Use what you know about negative exponents to rewrite this problem in a more simple form. Where is this problem from? You may need to show that there is no solution rather than finding the solution.

futurebird is right. You may have to show it doesn't have a solution. Clearly x>0 is the only possibility. So you got ln(x)-x=ln(1)=0. Take f(x)=ln(x)-x. Look at f'(x) to figure out where it has a max/min etc. Can it ever be zero?

x=1 works.

Ooh- my bad- misread the question. It doesn't have a solution.

christianjb said:
x=1 works.

You scared me for a moment there!

An easy way to see that there is so solution is to first simplify then graph both sides of the equation by setting them equal to y.

Graphing them both and showing the don't intersect is not really the most rigorous proof...

Use Dick's method in post 3.

ahhhh...thanks guys! Why didnt I think of that? =\

Related to What is the solution of x*exp(-x)=1?

What is the solution of x*exp(-x)=1?

The solution of x*exp(-x)=1 is the value of x that satisfies the equation. It can also be thought of as the x-intercept of the graph of the equation.

How do you solve x*exp(-x)=1?

To solve x*exp(-x)=1, you can use algebraic manipulation and the properties of exponents. First, divide both sides by exp(-x) to get x=1/exp(-x). Then, use the property exp(-x)=1/exp(x) to rewrite the equation as x=exp(x). Finally, use a graphing calculator or numerical methods to find the approximate solution, which is x≈0.567143.

What is the relationship between x*exp(-x) and 1?

The equation x*exp(-x)=1 represents a balance between the exponential growth of exp(-x) and the linear decrease of x. The solution of the equation represents the point at which these two functions intersect and have the same value.

Why is the solution of x*exp(-x)=1 important in science?

The solution of x*exp(-x)=1 is important in science because it can be used to model various phenomena, such as radioactive decay and population growth. In these cases, the solution represents the point at which the rate of growth (or decay) of a system is equal to the rate of decrease (or increase) in the system.

What other types of equations involve the solution of x*exp(-x)=1?

Equations similar to x*exp(-x)=1, such as x*exp(-x)=k, where k is a constant, can be used to model a variety of scientific phenomena. For example, the equation x*exp(-x)=k can be used to model the concentration of a chemical substance over time in a reaction with a specific rate constant k.