What is the temperature at thermal junction T if the EMF output is 1.8mV?

• Thread starter FurryMcFlurry
  • Start date
In summary, the thermocouple's EMF output EAB is shown in the following graph. The Attempt at a Solution estimates the measured temperature at thermal junction T to be 50°C + 1.8mV + 50°C = 153°C.
FurryMcFlurry
Hi guys! First time posting here so please be nice. :)

Homework Statement

A thermocouple T is connected in the following circuit with two different types of metal wires to measure a temperature ranging from 0°C to 500°C:

[img=http://s12.postimg.org/9y4nuly15/mechatronics_thermocouple.png]

This thermocouple's EMF output EAB is shown in the following graph:

[img=http://s12.postimg.org/hfdv9tnk9/mechatronics_thermocouple_graph.png]

Suppose that the measurement from the digital voltage meter (DVM) is 1.8mV, estimate the measured temperature at thermal junction T (Answer must match to 1 decimal place).

Homework Equations

EAB = αT + βT2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've done is that I've taken both the points on the graph (T = 100°C and T = 200°C) and solved for values of α and β by using simultaneous equations. From here, I was able to get α = 4.4333 x 10-5 and β = -1.3333..3x10-8

4. Where I'm stuck
My current stab at the solution is basically the substitution of EAB = 1.8mV (the measurement from the DVM) into the equation and substituting the values of α and β into the equation, and then solving for the roots of T. My values as of such have been completely unrealistic (x10-4). I can't shake off the feeling that that step is wrong... I've been looking through my lecture notes (which are, by the way, are very much incomplete and only mentions that one equation and doesn't have any examples), and I haven't been able to find anything that could help me. Any help would be very much appreciated. :smile:

Attachments

• mechatronics thermocouple.png
    mechatronics thermocouple.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 459
  • mechatronics thermocouple graph.png
    mechatronics thermocouple graph.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to sum voltage drops around the entire circuit and set = 0. This includes the DVM.

Write this equation.

One question: Does EAB mean EB - EA or EA - EB?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

This wasn't mentioned in the question (and was never explained in the lectures for that matter) so I'm assuming that EAB means EB-EA.

Summing the loops, I've gotten the voltage loop (clockwise) as:
VT=50°C + 1.8mV + VT=150°C - VT = 0

After substituting T=50°C and T=150°C into the equation, I got ET=50°C = 2.2mV and ET=150°C = 6.3mV.

Substituting it all into the loop, I get VT = 1.8mV + 2.2mV + 6.3mV = 10.3mV.

Would this be correct?

FurryMcFlurry said:
Thanks for the reply!

This wasn't mentioned in the question (and was never explained in the lectures for that matter) so I'm assuming that EAB means EB-EA.

Summing the loops, I've gotten the voltage loop (clockwise) as:
VT=50°C + 1.8mV + VT=150°C - VT = 0
There should be two V150 terms in your loop, not just one. A quick look at the schematic diagram tells you that.

Why not start your voltage loop at the low side of the dvm:

(EB - EA)150 + (EA - EB)T + (EB - EA)150 + (EA - EB)50 = 1.8 mV.

Notice that you need to distinguish between V and -V for each drop across dissimilar metals. I think you missed that fact. Your V50 and V150 have the same polarity which is incorrect, again as can be seen on the schematic diagram.

/QUOTE]

Hello! Welcome to the forum.

First of all, great job on solving for the values of α and β! That is the correct first step in solving this problem.

Now, for the next step, you are correct in substituting the value of EAB into the equation and solving for the roots of T. However, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:

1. Make sure that all units are consistent. The units for EAB are millivolts (mV), so the units for α and β should also be in mV.
2. Remember that the equation is EAB = αT + βT^2, so when you substitute EAB = 1.8mV, you should have 1.8mV = αT + βT^2.
3. Since this is a quadratic equation, there will be two roots for T. One of the roots will be the correct temperature at thermal junction T, while the other root will be an extraneous solution that should be discarded.
4. Make sure to convert the final temperature from Kelvin to Celsius, since the equation is in terms of temperature difference (ΔT = T2 - T1).

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Related to What is the temperature at thermal junction T if the EMF output is 1.8mV?

1. What is a thermocouple?

A thermocouple is a temperature sensor that consists of two dissimilar metal wires joined together at one end. When the joined end is exposed to a temperature difference, a small voltage is generated which can be measured and used to determine the temperature.

2. How do thermocouples work?

Thermocouples work based on the principle of the Seebeck effect, which states that when two dissimilar metals are connected and exposed to a temperature difference, a voltage is generated. This voltage is proportional to the temperature difference and can be measured using a voltmeter.

3. What are the different types of thermocouples?

There are several types of thermocouples, with the most common being Type K, Type J, Type T, and Type E. These types differ in the materials used for the wires and their temperature ranges. Type K, for example, uses chromel and alumel wires and can measure temperatures up to 1260°C.

4. What are the advantages of using thermocouples?

Thermocouples have several advantages, including their small size, wide temperature range, and fast response time. They are also durable and can withstand harsh environments, making them suitable for a variety of applications in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

5. How do I calibrate a thermocouple?

To calibrate a thermocouple, you will need a temperature source, such as a thermometer or a calibrated oven, and a voltmeter. First, measure the temperature of the source and record the corresponding voltage reading on the voltmeter. Then, connect the thermocouple to the voltmeter and place the joined end in the temperature source. The voltmeter should display a different voltage reading, which can be used to calibrate the thermocouple's temperature measurements.