What is the Value of k in This SAT Math Problem?

In summary, the SAT math section consists of two parts - a calculator allowed section and a calculator not allowed section - with multiple choice and grid-in questions. It covers a variety of topics including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and data analysis. To prepare, one can use study materials and focus on improving in weak areas. Strategies for solving questions faster include skipping difficult questions and using process of elimination and plugging in numbers. The section is 80 minutes long, divided into two parts, with a focus on mental math and estimation skills in the non-calculator section.
I'm

Homework Statement

(n/(n-1)) x (1/n) x (n/(n+1)) = 5/k for positive integers n and k, what is the value of k>

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied the left side out to be (n/(n^2-1) and set it equal to 5/k

I got stuck right there.

Physics news on Phys.org
So what you've gotten is, n/(n2 - 1) = 5/k

If that's true, then we should have,

(n2 - 1)/n = k/5

Since we know that n != 0

I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using algebraic manipulation to solve for k. First, we can simplify the left side of the equation to (1/(n+1)), as the n's in the numerator and denominator cancel out. Then, we can multiply both sides by (n+1) to get 1 = 5k/(n+1). From here, we can solve for k by dividing both sides by 5, giving us k = (n+1)/5. This means that for any positive integer value of n, the value of k will also be a positive integer.

Related to What is the Value of k in This SAT Math Problem?

1. What is the format of the SAT math section?

The SAT math section consists of two parts: a calculator allowed section and a calculator not allowed section. Each part includes multiple choice questions and grid-in questions. The total number of questions varies from test to test, but is typically around 58-60.

2. What types of math topics are covered in the SAT?

The SAT math section covers a variety of topics, including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and data analysis. It also includes some basic arithmetic and statistics questions.

3. How can I prepare for the SAT math section?

There are a few ways to prepare for the SAT math section. You can use study materials such as review books or online practice tests. It can also be helpful to identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus on improving in areas where you struggle.

4. Are there any tips for solving SAT math questions faster?

Yes, there are a few strategies that can help with solving SAT math questions more efficiently. These include skipping difficult questions and coming back to them later, using process of elimination for multiple choice questions, and plugging in numbers for variables in algebraic equations.

5. How much time is given for the SAT math section?

The SAT math section is 80 minutes long and is divided into two parts: a 55-minute calculator allowed section and a 25-minute calculator not allowed section. Students are not allowed to use a calculator during the second part, so it is important to practice mental math and estimation skills.