What is this giant buzzing beetle in my garden shed?

• Thread starter AlephZero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug Thread
In summary, Andre found a Sexton Beetle flying around his garden shed today. It was a lower pitched "buzz" than a typical bee - it sounded a bit like a very small motorbike engine! The wingspan was at least 2 inches. It took about 4 goes to squash it hard enough to stop its legs waving in the air. I left it on the kitchen table on a piece of polystyrene, after taking the picture with the coin.
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Found this "not so little" beast flying round my garden shed today. A lower pitched "buzz" than a typical bee - it sounded a bit like a very small motorbike engine! I presume it's some sort of beetle. The wingspan was at least 2 inches.

The first picture is after it crashed into the window - and presumably a bit disoriented, considering the "thwack" when it hit the glass. (As you can see my garden shed is not going to win any competitions for being clean and tidy!)

The second picture is after it was dead - it took several goes to squish it. I judged that anything that big, and color coded orange and black, was a bit risky to deal with trying to get a good picture while it was still alive.

FYI the UK 50p piece for size comparison is 27.3mm (1.075in) diameter.

Attachments

• bug1.jpg
    bug1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 429
  • bug2.jpg
    bug2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
Some type of Sexton Beetle, perhaps "Nicrophorus investigator", which is under "Sexton Beetle (2)" on this page:

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/beetles.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan Scott said:
Some type of Sexton Beetle, perhaps "Nicrophorus investigator", which is under "Sexton Beetle (2)" on this page:

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/beetles.html"
Actually, andre found it, look above.

Sexton Beetle - Nicrophorus defodiens

http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/62286573

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Actually, andre found it, look above.

Sexton Beetle - Nicrophorus defodiens

http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/62286573

Yes, I saw that, but "Sexton Beetle" covers a range of beetles with similar markings and I wouldn't necessarily be sure that it's the "defodiens" one. I chose "Nicrophorus investigator" from several similar ones because I think it's a common one in the UK (as indicated by the choice of coin), but it could well be another one.

The defodiens looks identical to me. Wow, those are some crazy antenae.

I call "investigator" not "defodiens". Red bulbs on the antennae not black, and the description of its flying capabilities on the weksite was spot on as well.

It may be "common" in the UK but it's the first one I've seen in a lifetime. FWIW, a neighbour spent all of yesterday felling and shredding a long row of 20 foot tall leylandii (good riddance to them, they were never trimmed to make anything like a hedge, just a sprawling half-dead mess - but there's no guarantee he will replace them with anything more sensible!). So I guess it literally came out of the woodwork.

AlephZero said:
I call "investigator" not "defodiens". Red bulbs on the antennae not black, and the description of its flying capabilities on the weksite was spot on as well.
Ok, we need a poll, obviously you are not qualified to judge. :biggrin:

Oh rats, now that you mention it, I do see that the tips aren't black.

Ok, JS wins! Investigator it is! So yours is the punk version. :-p

Evo said:
So yours is the punk version. :-p

Actually I think it's the zombie version.

It took about 4 goes to squash it hard enough to stop its legs waving in the air. I left it on the kitchen table on a piece of polystyrene, after taking the picture with the coin.

I just went back to try and get a big closeup of an antenna ... and it's gone. There's one leg left behind (not twitching!), but the rest of it has crawled off somewhere. Unbelievable.

Unless I also have a invisible beetle-eater living in the kitchen :eek:

AlephZero said:
Actually I think it's the zombie version.

It took about 4 goes to squash it hard enough to stop its legs waving in the air. I left it on the kitchen table on a piece of polystyrene, after taking the picture with the coin.

I just went back to try and get a big closeup of an antenna ... and it's gone. There's one leg left behind (not twitching!), but the rest of it has crawled off somewhere. Unbelievable.

Unless I also have a invisible beetle-eater living in the kitchen :eek:
(note to self - never go to Aleph's house )

You might want to sleep with one eye open tonight...

Zombie beetle apocalypse!

Evo said:
Zombie beetle apocalypse!

Today, it was busy practising gymnastics on the stem of a house plant.

The picture is technically yuck (beetle in shade, background in full sunlight). But I just love the expression on its face.

It's now back outside where it belongs!

Attachments

• bug3.jpg
    bug3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 434

Related to What is this giant buzzing beetle in my garden shed?

What is the purpose of the "Another name that bug thread"?

The "Another name that bug thread" is a forum where people can suggest alternative names for bugs, such as insects or computer glitches. It is a fun and creative way to brainstorm new names for common pests or problems.

Can anyone participate in the "Another name that bug thread"?

Yes, anyone can participate in the "Another name that bug thread." It is open to all members of the forum or website where it is hosted. All you need to do is sign up for an account and start submitting your ideas!

What types of bugs can be renamed in the "Another name that bug thread"?

Any type of bug can be renamed in the "Another name that bug thread." This includes insects, arachnids, and other pests. It can also include computer bugs or glitches. Be creative and have fun with your suggestions!

How are the new bug names chosen in the "Another name that bug thread"?

The new bug names in the "Another name that bug thread" are chosen by the members of the forum or website. They can upvote or downvote suggestions, and the most popular names are often chosen as the new names for the bugs. However, the ultimate decision may be up to the moderators or administrators of the forum.

Is the "Another name that bug thread" meant to be taken seriously?

No, the "Another name that bug thread" is meant to be a fun and lighthearted activity. It is not meant to be taken seriously or to offend anyone. Please be respectful and creative with your suggestions.

Back