What is Your Favorite Latex Editor and Why?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation was about different software options for writing documents in LaTeX. The participants discussed their personal preferences and experiences with various programs, such as Lyx, Texmaker, LED, and Vim. They also mentioned the importance of having a good preview pane and the ease of installation on different operating systems. Overall, they agreed that Texmaker and Vim were reliable choices for writing in LaTeX, while TeXnicCenter was recommended for Windows users.
Bachelier
What do you guys use to write your documents? And why?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a lot of experience and my Latex history is pretty short (a few months)...I started out of curiosity and...

I had looked into Lyx but had a bit of hard time 'getting it' and I seemed to have understood that the code that they generate is not quite 100% latex.

Then, I run into http://dev.midnightcoding.org/projects/gummi and like the idea of dual panes with source on one side and pdf on the other...but soon I found that is not quite complete and lacked development activity.

Then, I found Texmaker and like it very much! It is very much a complete piece of software and is easy to install on MS-Windows AND Linux.

my 2 cetns

I started with LED, but then moved to Texmaker. Both of these are good, Texmaker the best. Very easy to install, and has a good preview plane with the ability to jump back and forth between the preview (equation) and the matching code in long documents.

Vim.

I also use vim.
There are certainly more comfortable/graphic etc choices, but I decided to use vim for any programming task because I work both on windows and latex machines and vim is available and fast on any system. Furthermore I am writing with the ten finger system and vi doesn't force you to leave the baseline to enter commands.

For windows TeXnicCenter absolutely the best!

Related to What is Your Favorite Latex Editor and Why?

What is a "Favorite Latex Editor"?

A "Favorite Latex Editor" is a software program used by scientists and other professionals to write and format documents in the LaTeX typesetting language. It is an alternative to traditional word processors and is commonly used for writing scientific papers, theses, and other technical documents.

Why would I use a Favorite Latex Editor instead of a traditional word processor?

There are several advantages to using a Favorite Latex Editor. It allows for more precise and professional-looking formatting, particularly for equations and mathematical symbols. It also has built-in features for managing citations and references, making it easier to organize and format large documents.

What are some popular Favorite Latex Editors?

Some popular Favorite Latex Editors include Overleaf, Texmaker, and TeXstudio. Each of these editors has a user-friendly interface and a variety of features to help with document creation and formatting.

Do I need to be familiar with coding or programming to use a Favorite Latex Editor?

No, you do not need to have any coding or programming experience to use a Favorite Latex Editor. While some knowledge of LaTeX syntax may be helpful, many editors have user-friendly interfaces and provide templates and tools to make document creation easier for beginners.

Is a Favorite Latex Editor free or do I need to purchase it?

Many Favorite Latex Editors are available for free, with some offering additional features for a fee. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your needs and budget.