What kind of mathematics/pattern is this?

• Thread starter supernova1203
  • Start date
In summary: So, if you are evaluating y = sin(45*x), then the period is equal to 2pi/45 radians. You can see that the zeros for sin(x) are always located at the points (0,0), (1,1), (2,2), (3,3), etc.
supernova1203
So I was doing my math work today, sine cosine functions, i was trying to find zeros for different functions

in this instance i was working with y=cos2x, i knew what the graph looked like even before i put pen to paper but i wanted to know exactly where the zeros were, i took an educated guess that each side would have 4 zeros(4 negative 4 positive)

so i found my first zero using trial and error which was 45

THEN it happened i sort of found this pattern

the equation i sort of made up was

cos(2 * what number would =0)

the first number i got was 45, then either i got lucky and discovered this pattern or i remember looking at one of the graphs noticing the zeros were always the same distance apart from each other(They were increasing by the same amount each time)

so i did 45+45= not a zero

but when i did

45+45+45 = Zero (135)

45+45+45+45+45=zero(225)

but 45+45+45+45= not a zero

so it would skip a 45 and the next 45 would be a zero

in other words 45(1) = zero 45(2)=not a zero 45(3)=zero 45(4)=not a zero 45(5)=zero and it would go on and on

my question is what have i stumbled upon here? Is this a special kind of mathematics? They all seem to be odd numbers for zeros. This will REALLY come in handy for future problems of similar types, i will no longer find zeros using the exhausting method of trial and error, just use patterns like this to find the zeros and save a lot of time and energy

Physics news on Phys.org
hi supernova1203! :smile:

(have a degree: ° :wink:)
supernova1203 said:
in other words 45(1) = zero 45(2)=not a zero 45(3)=zero 45(4)=not a zero 45(5)=zero and it would go on and on

my question is what have i stumbled upon here? Is this a special kind of mathematics? They all seem to be odd numbers for zeros. This will REALLY come in handy for future problems of similar types, i will no longer find zeros using the exhausting method of trial and error, just use patterns like this to find the zeros and save a lot of time and energy

you've found the formula cos((n + 1/2)π) = 0 :smile:

(similar to the formula sin(nπ) = 0)

btw, you can "prove" it by expanding to cos(nπ)cos(π/2) - sin(nπ)sin(π/2) = cos(nπ)0 - 0sin(π/2), = 0 :wink:

whoa...i had no idea i did that @_@...is that calculus or something(I have a knack for accidently stumbling onto problems that are um.. a little ahead of me, i was recently told in my pre calculus class i solved something they do on adv calculus, i figured out stuff about limits, and infinity, and most importantly i learned how to graph manually reciprocal functions etc ..i was so proud lol my teacher said they would never give a problem like that on exams because its too difficult and would take too long to solve...yet i was able to finish it eventually(I got the problem online)

supernova1203 said:
whoa...i had no idea i did that @_@...is that calculus or something

no, it's just trig :wink:

the first equation is simply translating the obvious into an equation, and the second equation is one of the well-known trigonometric identities , cos(A+B) = cosA cosB - sinAsinB :smile:

supernova1203: What you have stumbled on is the fact that all of the trig functions, sin, cos, tan, etc., are periodic. For example, the plot of y = sin (x) shows a repeating wave shape as x increases. This means that, if y1 = sin (x1) and y2 = sin (x1+2pi), then y1 = y2, for x measured in radians. The values of y repeat for values of x + 2*k*pi, where k = 1,2,3,... The period for sin, etc. is equal to 2pi radians or 360 degrees. If you are evaluating y = sin(k*x), then the period is equal to 2pi/k radians.

Related to What kind of mathematics/pattern is this?

1. What is the purpose of identifying patterns in mathematics?

Identifying patterns in mathematics allows us to make predictions and solve problems efficiently. It also helps us understand the underlying structure and relationships between numbers and equations.

2. How do mathematicians find patterns?

Mathematicians use various techniques such as observation, experimentation, and logical reasoning to identify patterns in mathematics. They also use tools like graphs, tables, and equations to represent patterns and make predictions.

3. What are some common types of patterns in mathematics?

Some common types of patterns in mathematics include geometric patterns, number patterns, and algebraic patterns. These can be further classified into subcategories such as repeating, growing, and alternating patterns.

4. Can patterns be found in real-world applications?

Yes, patterns are found in many real-world applications such as in nature, music, art, and technology. For example, the Fibonacci sequence is a pattern found in many natural phenomena such as the branching of trees and the arrangement of seeds in a sunflower.

5. How can understanding patterns in mathematics be useful in everyday life?

Understanding patterns in mathematics can help in problem-solving, decision-making, and critical thinking. It can also improve our ability to recognize and interpret patterns in data and make predictions based on those patterns.