What Language is used in embeded systems? asm, verilog or vhsl?

In summary, the conversation focused on the use of digital circuits and different hardware description languages such as VHDL, Verilog, and assembly. The individual was wondering which language would be most beneficial to focus on for job opportunities. It was mentioned that Verilog is commonly used in the market, while C and assembly are used for embedded systems. Having a background in Software Engineering can be advantageous in this field.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. Today I had my first lab that actually used a digital circuit that I didn't have to hand wire with a **** load of wires and resistors. It was awesome, just draw a picture and boom u got ur circuit. But then I noticed you also could skip the drawing and hand code it! I didn't like Vhsl's syntax but i loved Verilogs because it reminded me of C, while VHSL is like gross perl! blah! But what i was wondering was what language should I focus on asm, vhsl or verilog, do you know what the market uses now? Also I know asmbely is used in my microproessor class but i don't have that until my jr.year, next year. But I wouldn't mind learning that either, is that also used? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
VHSL?? Is there such a hardware description language? Did you mean VHDL?

As to which one you should concentrate on, here are some good reads to get you familiar with the capabilities of the languages.

http://www.techonline.com/community/tech_topic/java/14316?print
VHDL & Verilog Compared & ContrastedHope it helps

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome thanks for the websites, they where good! Any body out there working with either of the languages VHDL or Verilog or asm? And want to provide some feedback on what their job is and what they perfer?

mr_coffee said:
awesome thanks for the websites, they where good! Any body out there working with either of the languages VHDL or Verilog or asm? And want to provide some feedback on what their job is and what they perfer?
Most IC designs and big FPGA designs that I know of are done in Verilog. If you are good at Verilog, that is a big plus in the job market, at least here in Silicon Valley. As for software, for embedded systems you will use a mix of C and assembly. Again, being good at programming in C and assembly is a big plus in the embedded microcontroller market.

awesome! I guess having a Software Engineering background is going to help out! thanks Berkeman!

Related to What Language is used in embeded systems? asm, verilog or vhsl?

1. What is an embedded system?

An embedded system is a computer system that is designed to perform a specific task or function within a larger system. It is typically a combination of hardware and software that is built into a larger device or machine.

2. What is assembly language?

Assembly language, also known as asm, is a low-level programming language that is used to directly control the hardware of a computer or embedded system. It is often used in embedded systems due to its speed and efficiency.

3. What is Verilog?

Verilog is a hardware description language (HDL) that is used to design and model digital systems. It is often used in the design and testing of embedded systems, as it allows for the simulation and verification of hardware designs.

4. What is VHDL?

VHDL stands for VHSIC (Very High Speed Integrated Circuit) Hardware Description Language and is another HDL used for designing and modeling digital systems. It is commonly used in embedded systems for its ability to accurately describe complex hardware designs.

5. Which language is best for embedded systems?

The best language for an embedded system depends on the specific requirements and constraints of the system. Assembly language is often used for its speed and efficiency, while HDLs like Verilog and VHDL are used for their ability to accurately model complex hardware designs. Ultimately, it is important to choose the language that best suits the needs of the specific embedded system.