What should be the formula to solve this?

• Thread starter rexkhyz29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the cars will meet at the point (457, 0) when both cars have travelled a total of 2.5 kilometers.
rexkhyz29
This is the given problem:

Cars A and B approach each other on a straight road from points 457 m apart. A has an initial velocity of 20 m/s and is decelarating at the rate of 0.4 m/s². B has an initial velocity of 5 m/s and is accelerating at the rate of 0.3 m/s². When will the cars meet and how far will car A have travelled?

note: this is not homework guys. I just want to recall my physics. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Homework Statement

Cars A and B approach each other on a straight road from points 457 m apart. A has an initial velocity of 20 m/s and is decelarating at the rate of 0.4 m/s². B has an initial velocity of 5 m/s and is accelerating at the rate of 0.3 m/s². When will the cars meet and how far will car A have travelled?

Homework Equations

none

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

The formula I do know for the problem is
Da + Db = 457
Da = Vit + at²

and..

Db= Vit + at²

is this right? if it is, then what is the next step to solve this? thanks in advance.

Uniform Acceleration:

vave=(vi+vf)/2

is this the formula i should use? if it is. Can you explain to me how to solve this kind of problem? I only just need a guide not the exact answer.

The first thing to do in these sorts of problems is to choose a coordinate system, then taking that coordinate system into account, assign values to all the constants in your equations of motion for the two bodies. Be careful with the signs of the values! They should correspond to what is happening in the coordinate system (The prose description can be a bit lax on specifying the signs that should be assigned to values, expecting the reader to sort it out by context).

Use the 'complete' version of the equation of motion for constant acceleration for both bodies:
[tex]x = x_o + v_o t + \frac{1}{2}a t^2 [/tex]

What values will you assign to the constants for each body?

I'd use the formula for displacement & time:
[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]
Hints: Let x0 = 0 for car A, thus x0 = 457 for car B.
If car A's initial velocity v0 is +20 m/s, what would car B's initial velocity be?

Related to What should be the formula to solve this?

1. What is the first step in solving a formula?

The first step in solving a formula is to identify the variables and their corresponding values. This will help you determine which formula to use and how to rearrange it to solve for the desired variable.

2. How do I know which formula to use?

The formula you should use depends on the type of problem you are trying to solve. It is important to understand the relationships between the variables and which formula represents that relationship. You may need to consult a reference or ask for help if you are unsure.

3. Can I solve this formula without knowing all the variables?

Sometimes, you can solve a formula even if you do not know all the variables. If you have enough information, you can use algebraic manipulation to solve for the desired variable. However, if you do not have enough information, you may need to collect more data or use a different approach.

4. How can I check if my answer is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can substitute your solution back into the original formula and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator or software program to verify your answer.

5. What should I do if I am not getting the correct answer?

If you are not getting the correct answer, double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula. If you are still having trouble, try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a colleague or teacher.