What should i do? lectureship or pursue Ph.D?

In summary, A student is currently studying for their M.Sc in Physics and plans to take the JRF exam to pursue a PhD. They are unsure if they should continue with a PhD or look for a job as a professor. In India, a NET qualification is needed to become a professor, but it does not guarantee a position. They are advised to talk to their professors about promising areas and develop skills that can be used in teaching and research in physics or engineering.
Sachin Desarada
Im doing M.Sc Physics just a month left for finals. I am planning to crack jrf for doing Ph.D. I am confused what shoud i do Ph.D or search job as professor. After Ph.D whare i can get jobs ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a PhD a professorship is impossible I think even in the most humble college.

gleem said:
Without a PhD a professorship is impossible I think even in the most humble college.
But here in India one can only need NET(national eligibility test) qualified to do professorship.

Sorry, i was only referring to the US. However I would still think you would be at a disadvantage for a professorship. What is confusing you? If you feel you can earn a Ph.D. I think you should try. Talk with your professors about different promising areas ( areas that have a lot of applications) but you will probably not be seeking job for 4 or 5 years from starting your doctorate and who knows for sure what will be a good opportunity. try to develop skills that have general applicability if possible skills that you can use both in teaching, and research in physics or engineering.

Likes Sachin Desarada
Sachin Desarada said:
But here in India one can only need NET(national eligibility test) qualified to do professorship.

Being eligible does not mean you'll be selected when there is a search.

Likes cristo

Related to What should i do? lectureship or pursue Ph.D?

1. What is the difference between a lectureship and a Ph.D?

A lectureship is a teaching position at a university or college, where the individual is responsible for delivering lectures and conducting classes. A Ph.D, on the other hand, is a research degree that involves in-depth study and the completion of original research in a specific field.

2. Which option is better for career advancement?

This depends on your career goals and interests. A lectureship may provide stability and opportunities for teaching and mentoring students, while a Ph.D can open up opportunities for research and academic positions.

3. Can I pursue a Ph.D while working as a lecturer?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Ph.D while working as a lecturer. However, it can be challenging to balance both commitments and may require time management skills and support from your employer.

4. What are the potential job prospects after completing a lectureship?

After completing a lectureship, you can continue to advance in your teaching career at the university or college level. You may also have the opportunity to take on leadership roles or pursue further education.

5. How long does it take to complete a Ph.D compared to a lectureship?

A lectureship typically requires a minimum of a master's degree and takes 2-3 years to complete. A Ph.D, on the other hand, can take 4-6 years to complete, depending on the field of study and individual research progress.