What sparked my interest in physics and engineering?

Steve_H
Hello to everyone!

I've just signed up after finding your site whilst trawling google for some answers.

My name is Steve, and I'm from Leicester, England. I am 27 Years old, and very interested in some of the discussions going on here (and I hope to participate in some of them without making a fool of myself :blushing: )

I went to college and studied Engineering for two years, and loved every minute. Regrettably I never pursued a relevant career and I currently find myself working as a carpenter, which is good, but I have always dreamed of working with cars in an engineering role.

I am hugely interested in physics based things, and often help my friends with their project cars or problems they have. I am by no means any type of expert, but I seem to be somewhat of a 'go-to-guy' for my friends and their car queries, which I am humbly proud of.

I have built several engines for various cars that I have owned over the years, so I look forward to helping or being helped in the engineering sections :redface:

I am by no means an expert on physics (more an amateur enthusiast), but I know how to work google, and I strive to research things as much as I can before asking for help, so I hope I don't ask too many silly questions! :shy:

Thanks for your time! :biggrin:

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Steve!

I think you'll find a lot of great people here to share with.

As long as I have the official welcome fish out

fish2qn4.gif

Consider yourself officially welcomed!

Hello Steve. Greetings from Jersey...uh, make that "New" Jersey (although it looks pretty old from where I'm standing). :biggrin:

Welcome aboard Steve_H, hope you enjoy PF and the fish. :biggrin:

Thanks guys! I've been having a bit of a look around and well, there are some stunningly intelligent people here! I hope I can keep up with the discussions! :)

Steve_H said:
... (and I hope to participate in some of them without making a fool of myself )
That's probably what most contributors here hoped at first.

Steve_H said:
... I hope I don't ask too many silly questions!
That's probably what most contributors here hoped at first. You've probably been told that there's no such thing as a silly, or bad, or stupid question. Don't believe that. In fact, I'm about to ask one.

What's up with the "welcome fish" thing? What sort of a 'welcome' is slapping somebody on the head with a fish?

In any case I recommend avoiding questions about time travel and dating.

By the way, hi Steve, and welcome.

ThomasT said:
What's up with the "welcome fish" thing? What sort of a 'welcome' is slapping somebody on the head with a fish?
It's a long story that actually has a history outside of PF. If you don't like fish, Ivan will be glad to load the PF trebuchet with frozen broccoli.

Evo said:
It's a long story that actually has a history outside of PF. If you don't like fish, Ivan will be glad to load the PF trebuchet with frozen broccoli.
Have fish and broccoli. Need artichokes in herbally infused olive oil.

Related to What sparked my interest in physics and engineering?

1. What made you interested in physics and engineering?

I have always been curious about how the world works and how things are built. Physics and engineering provide a way to understand and create the technology and systems that shape our daily lives.

2. Was there a specific event or experience that sparked your interest?

Yes, when I was in high school, I attended a summer program that focused on engineering and design. I was fascinated by the hands-on projects and the problem-solving skills required. It was then that I realized my passion for physics and engineering.

3. What do you find most exciting about physics and engineering?

The most exciting aspect for me is the ability to apply scientific principles and mathematical concepts to real-world problems. It's amazing to see how a theory or equation can be used to develop innovative solutions and technologies.

4. How do you stay motivated and keep up with the constantly evolving field of physics and engineering?

I am constantly learning and seeking out new information and advancements in the field. I also stay involved in research projects and attend conferences and workshops to stay updated on the latest developments. Collaboration with other scientists and engineers also helps me stay motivated and inspired.

5. What advice do you have for someone who wants to pursue a career in physics and engineering?

My advice would be to never stop learning and exploring. There is always something new to discover and understand in this field. Also, don't be afraid to take on challenges and seek out opportunities to apply your knowledge and skills. And most importantly, have a strong passion and drive for the subject, as it will keep you motivated even during the most challenging times.