What sparked your interest in physics and mathematics?

• Thread starter Gamble93
  • Start date
In summary, the interviewee was inspired to pursue a career in physics and mathematics due to their curiosity and passion for understanding the world. They were particularly drawn to the logical and analytical nature of these fields. Several key experiences, such as reading about the theory of relativity and solving difficult math problems, solidified their interest. In their research and work, they use mathematics to describe and understand physical phenomena. The interviewee finds the ability of physics and mathematics to explain and predict the behavior of the world to be the most exciting aspect of these fields. They believe that these fields will continue to have a significant impact on our future, whether it be through technological advancements or expanding our understanding of the universe.
Gamble93
Hello.

I am new to the forums. I have been, for lack of a better word, lurking these forums for about 2 months now and have decided to formally introduce myself. I have just graduated from high school and am starting my Bachelor of Science degree in September. My major is mathematics but I have an extreme interest and curiosity for how the universe works. As such I love physics especially the math that goes with it. I have also slowly been teaching myself some higher level mathematics with some guidance from my old teachers, books, and internet articles.

Anyways, that about sums me up currently. This forum definitely seems like a fun place to talk with and exchange ideas with like minded people who share a natural curiosity for knowledge and all of that. Best wishes for everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Gamble. It is indeed a great place to learn and to help others to learn. :smile:

Welcome Gamble to PF! I am sure you will enjoy it here! :D Just out of curiousity, what is your favorite fish?

Well, I saw another thread where the new member was warned about this. :P I personally don't like fish. Never have.

Gamble93 said:
Well, I saw another thread where the new member was warned about this. :P I personally don't like fish. Never have.

Yes, but if you would have a certain fondness for a certain kind of fish. What would it be?

If I were to have a fondness for a certain type of fish I guess then it would have to be the White Sturgeon.

Gamble93 said:
If I were to have a fondness for a certain type of fish I guess then it would have to be the White Sturgeon.

Fine!

*slaps Gamble93 with a White Sturgeon*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s

Haha. Well thank you. I suppose I have now been initiated?

*Slaps Gamble93 with Sturgeon*

Yes you have! Welcome to PF!

Dang you micro! I clicked the "Physics" video link... :(

Ivan92 said:
Dang you micro! I clicked the "Physics" video link... :(

:biggrin:

Related to What sparked your interest in physics and mathematics?

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in physics and mathematics?

Growing up, I was always fascinated by how the world worked and the underlying principles that governed the universe. I was particularly drawn to the logical and analytical nature of physics and mathematics, which allowed me to understand and explain complex phenomena. This curiosity and passion for discovery ultimately led me to pursue a career in these fields.

2. What specific events or experiences sparked your interest in physics and mathematics?

There were a few key moments that sparked my interest in physics and mathematics. One was when I read about the theory of relativity and was amazed by how it challenged our understanding of space and time. Another was when I solved a particularly challenging math problem and felt a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. These experiences solidified my interest and motivated me to continue exploring these subjects.

3. How do physics and mathematics intersect in your research or work?

In my research and work, I often use mathematical models to describe and understand physical phenomena. Physics provides the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of the universe, while mathematics provides the tools to analyze and solve complex problems. Together, they allow me to make predictions and gain insights into the natural world.

4. What do you find most exciting about physics and mathematics?

One of the most exciting aspects of physics and mathematics is their ability to explain and predict the behavior of the world around us. From the smallest particles to the vast expanse of the universe, these fields allow us to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern everything. I also find the constant advancements and discoveries in these fields to be incredibly thrilling and always keep me engaged.

5. How do you see physics and mathematics impacting the future?

Physics and mathematics have already had a profound impact on our world, from technological advancements to our understanding of the universe. I believe that these fields will continue to play a crucial role in shaping our future, whether it be through further advancements in technology, solving complex global issues, or expanding our understanding of the universe and our place within it.