What to do after failing to get a PhD placement?

In summary, if you have failed to obtain a place on a PhD studentship in particle physics, there are still options available to you. These include applying for scholarships or grants, looking for internships or research assistant positions, and gaining experience through courses or volunteering at a research facility. These opportunities can help you gain financial support, valuable experience, and connections in the field as you work towards your goal of pursuing a PhD in particle physics.
penguindecay
Dear fellow Physicists,
I have failed at obtaining a place on a PhD studentship this year, and would like your advice on what to do next. My mind is set on doing researching with the T2K experiment (particle physics), and I am to finish a Msc in physics this september. I have no money left as I funded my Msc myself. I intend to apply again next school year, but what can I do in the meantime (for about a year?). My thoughts were on teacher training as it is funded, or doing another Msc or Mres on particle physics? But I need to be funded as I have no money. The thought of doing a PhD in materials (as it has vacancies) has crossed my mind, but I have no passion for it. Is there any advice you can shed on my situation, or perhaps you know of a better route than myself? Thank you for reading

K

Physics news on Phys.org
udos to you for having the ambition and drive to pursue a PhD in particle physics. While it may be difficult to obtain funding for this type of research, there are still some options available to you. First, consider applying for scholarships or grants that are available specifically for students interested in particle physics research. There are a number of organizations and foundations that offer such awards, so researching these would be a good first step. Additionally, many universities have specific funds set aside for students doing research in particle physics, so make sure to check out your local university's website for more information. Another option is to look into internships or research assistant positions at universities or research institutes. These types of positions typically involve working with a research professor on a project, and often provide some form of financial support. Additionally, internships can also provide valuable experience and connections that could help you in the future. Finally, if you have the time and resources, you could also consider taking courses or volunteering at a particle physics research facility. This could give you a better understanding of the field as well as the opportunity to network with other researchers. I hope this advice is helpful and best of luck in your pursuit of a PhD in particle physics!

Related to What to do after failing to get a PhD placement?

1. What are my options if I fail to get a PhD placement?

There are several options you can consider if you fail to get a PhD placement. You could try applying to other universities or programs, pursue a master's degree, gain work experience in your field, or take a break and reapply in the future.

2. How can I improve my chances of getting a PhD placement in the future?

To improve your chances of getting a PhD placement in the future, you can work on improving your academic and research skills, gaining relevant work experience, networking with professors and other professionals in your field, and carefully selecting and applying to programs that align with your research interests.

3. Is it common to fail to get a PhD placement?

While it can be disheartening, failing to get a PhD placement is not uncommon. The competition for PhD positions can be fierce, and there are many factors that can affect the outcome of your application. It is important to remember that this does not define your worth or potential as a researcher.

4. Should I consider pursuing a different career path if I fail to get a PhD placement?

It is ultimately up to you to decide if pursuing a different career path is the right choice for you. However, it is important to consider if your passion and interest lies in research and academia, and if you are willing to continue working towards a PhD placement in the future.

5. How can I cope with the disappointment of failing to get a PhD placement?

Failing to get a PhD placement can be a difficult and disappointing experience. It is important to take care of your mental and emotional well-being during this time. Seek support from friends, family, or a therapist, and remember that this setback does not define your abilities or potential as a scientist.