What type of category of systems does a computer PC fall under?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the categorization of systems as linear or non-linear, and whether or not these classifications apply to computers. The speakers discuss the concept of causality and how it may or may not apply to computers, as well as the idea of using inputs and outputs to analyze the components of a computer. There is also a discussion about setting an alarm as an example of future state input, and whether or not this qualifies as a true future state input. The conversation ends with a question about what parameters should be considered when defining future state input.
pairofstrings
Is it a linear system? Casual system? Please explain why and how.

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like homework. Nevertheless...

Neglecting the fact that computers are enormously complex and flexible systems--will computers do preempting or in the absence of user input?

As for linearity--I think... think... FATAL EXCEPTION #2477: DOES NOT COMPUTE

EDIT: Okay, a philosophical discussion item: what do you consider as computer input...?

MATLABdude said:
This sounds like homework. Nevertheless...

Neglecting the fact that computers are enormously complex and flexible systems--will computers do preempting or in the absence of user input?

As for linearity--I think... think... FATAL EXCEPTION #2477: DOES NOT COMPUTE

EDIT: Okay, a philosophical discussion item: what do you consider as computer input...?

No it's not a homework question.
It doesn't do preempting OR in the absence of user input.
I don't know what you mean by fatal exception #2477.
I think the input to the computer is signals from the input peripheral attached to the computer.

Please tell me how systems can be categorized mathematically as linear or non-linear system or any other system using transform methods or by any other methods. I am looking for information on signals and systems which can describe any system based upon the output characteristics of the signal when the system is given an input signal.

Last edited:
To prove linearity one needs to prove for the given f(x), f(a+b)=f(a)+f(b) and c*f(x)=f(cx) hold true.

So now all you need is a function f(x) to describe a computer. Should be no problem. But please be careful with this question. Its known to lead to FATAL EXCEPTION #2477.

I am not sure if this is even possible but maybe someone already proved this for a turning machine or some other abstract concept of a computer. So you might try googling for turning machine linearity proofs.

Last edited:
What is Fatal Exception # 2477 ? I don't get any answers from google.com.

I think a PC is causal and non-linear, but it could be considered linear depending on the program its running and what its I/O are.

That's supposed to be a joke: neither linearity nor causality apply.

MATLABdude said:
That's supposed to be a joke: neither linearity nor causality apply.

how does causality not apply? A PC can create outputs based on inputs from the future?

DragonPetter said:
how does causality not apply? A PC can create outputs based on inputs from the future?

Well, you could set an alarm to trigger an action, but that's probably semantics. I think the bigger issue is that you can't apply these simple classifications to a computer on its own, irrespective of the programming.

I think that in order to answer this question, we have to consider all the components that are inside the computer PC and analyze individually the input and output of each of these components. And then look at the big picture. I haven't taken the computer architecture course yet, therefore I don't have much idea about the architecture so that I can analyze the outputs from each components like HDD, RAM, processor, input and output peripherals.

I have a doubt, MATLABdude said about setting up an alarm clock and this alarm clock is going to respond by making a sound, I tend to think of it as just software oriented thing. I agree that we are setting up some time in the alarm clock so that it responds on that particular time, but I think of it this way, when the clock goes-off, the signal that you get from the software is just a present state input rather a future state input. We have just programmed the software to respond and give the signal to the speaker on that particular time in the future. I don't think it qualifies to become a future state input. (When I say input, it's just a signal.) Because all the processes are going on in the computer the way it is designed to process. There is no artificial intelligence in a computer PC. I think there should be another parameter which is missing, which will help us define what future state input can be. I mean what condition/scenario satisfies to qualify the signal as a future state input.
On the other hand,
We can call the input signal as future state input when you know everything about the future signal or you don't know anything about the future signal, like, things like, the time on which this input signal is going to come to the input terminal of the device, the frequency of this input signal, or the amplitude. We might know all of these parameters or none of them.

What do you guys have to say about this?

Last edited:

Related to What type of category of systems does a computer PC fall under?

What is the definition of a computer PC?

A computer PC, or personal computer, is a type of electronic device that is designed for personal use and is capable of performing various tasks such as word processing, internet browsing, and data storage.

What are the different categories of computer PCs?

Computer PCs can be categorized into desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobile devices. Desktops are stationary computers that typically have a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Laptops are portable computers that have a built-in screen, keyboard, and trackpad. Tablets and mobile devices are smaller, lightweight devices that are designed for touch screen use.

What type of operating system do computer PCs typically use?

The majority of computer PCs use a Windows operating system, developed by Microsoft. Other popular operating systems for computer PCs include MacOS, developed by Apple, and Linux, which is open-source software.

What are the main components of a computer PC?

A computer PC typically consists of a central processing unit (CPU), memory (RAM), storage (hard drive or solid state drive), motherboard, and power supply. It also has input/output devices such as a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

What are the advantages of using a computer PC?

Computer PCs offer many benefits, including faster processing speeds, larger storage capacities, and the ability to perform various tasks simultaneously. They are also more versatile and customizable compared to other types of devices.