What was the total time of fall?

• Thread starter keweezz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Time
In summary, the ball covers three-sevenths of the distance to the ground in the last two seconds of its fall. The height of the ball after t seconds is s= h- (1/2)At2= h- 4.905t2. The time it hits the ground, T, is T= \sqrt{h/4.905}.
keweezz
A ball, dropped from rest, covers three-sevenths of the distance to the ground in the last two seconds of its fall.

(a) From what height was the ball dropped?
_m
(b) What was the total time of fall?
_s

For a, don't i need the final velocity to solve the problem? Vi=o A=-9.81?
2 days ago - 1 day left to answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

keweezz said:
A ball, dropped from rest, covers three-sevenths of the distance to the ground in the last two seconds of its fall.

(a) From what height was the ball dropped?
_m
(b) What was the total time of fall?
_s

For a, don't i need the final velocity to solve the problem? Vi=o A=-9.81?
2 days ago - 1 day left to answer.
No, you don't need the final velocity (although you can calculate it after you have solved b). I presume you know that the height of the ball after t seconds is s= h- (1/2)At2= h- 4.905t2. It will hit the ground when s= h- 4.905t2= 0 so the time it hits the ground, T, is [itex]T= \sqrt{h/4.905}[/itex].
the ball "covers three-sevenths of the distance to the ground in the last two seconds of its fall." which tells us that [itex]s(T- 2)= h- 4.905(\sqrt{h/4.905}- 2)^2= (3/7) h[/itex].
Solve that equation for h.

HallsofIvy said:
No, you don't need the final velocity (although you can calculate it after you have solved b). I presume you know that the height of the ball after t seconds is s= h- (1/2)At2= h- 4.905t2. It will hit the ground when s= h- 4.905t2= 0 so the time it hits the ground, T, is [itex]T= \sqrt{h/4.905}[/itex].
the ball "covers three-sevenths of the distance to the ground in the last two seconds of its fall." which tells us that [itex]s(T- 2)= h- 4.905(\sqrt{h/4.905}- 2)^2= (3/7) h[/itex].
Solve that equation for h.

[itex]s(T- 2)= h- 4.905(\sqrt{h/4.905}- 2)^2= (3/7) h[/itex]. For that part, i just do [itex]h- 4.905(\sqrt{h/4.905}- 2)^2= (3/7) h[/itex] that and solve for h?

i got 45.78 for h, but it didn't work out ;(

Last edited:

Related to What was the total time of fall?

1. What is the definition of "total time of fall"?

The total time of fall refers to the duration of time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height to the ground.

2. How is the total time of fall calculated?

The total time of fall can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the total time of fall, h is the height of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the total time of fall differ for different objects?

Yes, the total time of fall can differ for different objects depending on their mass, shape, and air resistance. Objects with a larger mass or more aerodynamic shape will generally have a longer total time of fall.

4. How does air resistance affect the total time of fall?

Air resistance can slow down the total time of fall by exerting a force on the object that is opposite to its direction of motion. This force increases as the object's speed increases, ultimately reaching a point where it balances out the force of gravity and the object reaches a constant speed known as terminal velocity.

5. Can the total time of fall be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as wind, air density, and air temperature can affect the total time of fall by altering the amount of air resistance experienced by the falling object.