Whats the electric part i need?

• Thread starter tiben26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the discussion revolved around finding a way to control the speed of two 12V fans in a PC. The original idea of using potentiometers failed and the suggestion of using a variable voltage regulator, specifically the LM317T, was given. It was suggested to use the LM317T datasheet to determine the appropriate heat sink and to possibly attach it to the PC chassis using an insulating washer. It was also mentioned that the third wire on the fan can be used for speed control, but a separate controller may be needed. It was recommended to seek advice from the Technology section of the forum for more help.
tiben26
[SOLVED] what's the electric part i need?

I'm trying to put 2 x 12 volts fans in my pc. I found the right wires on the psu,
so i can plug them in and they work great. However, i need to be able to control the speed they're going at, because they're too noisy. I bought a couple Potentiometers, and they didnt work well. They all fried exept for the 1 mega ohm one, who worked but the fan would either go very fast or off, i couldn't have full control. I don't know what i need to make this work.

thanks

Ben

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Ben, A variable voltage regulator would be a good way to go. Use a LM317T (in the TO-220 package and add a heat sink as necessary). Look up the 317 datasheet, and it will show you how to vary the output voltage. Use your fan's input current (versus voltage) and the LM317T datasheet to figure out how big of a heat sink you need. If you want to bolt the LM317T to the metal chassis of your PC as a heat sink, you need to use a mica insulating washer between the TO-220 tab and the grounded metal of your PC. The metal tab on the adjustable voltage regulator is not grounded.

Depending on the specs for your motors, you may need to start them up at the full 12V, and then turn down the input voltage after they are running to get the slower speed. Have fun! -Mike-

Using a variable voltage regulator sounds like a cool idea! As berkeman indicates the LM317 is a handy device and lends itself to this application.
Their http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/LM/LM317.pdf shows useful configuration details. I've used them a few times myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer fan motors are usually dc brushless. changing the voltage does not change the speed. The speed of the fan is dictated by a little controller attached to the fan motor inside the fan housing. Variable speed computer fans have a third wire that you can use to control the speed of the motor, but simply changing the voltage of the standard fan itself will only lead to burned out components.

i do have a 3rd wire for the speed control on my fans, but i don't know what circuit I am supposed to build.What current do i use to supply that 3rd wire? what potentiometer should i use with the LM317T?

Last edited:
tiben26 said:
i do have a 3rd wire for the speed control on my fans, but i don't know what circuit I am supposed to build.What current do i use to supply that 3rd wire?
If you do a little reading around the web, you will find that the third wire returns a periodic pulse (voltage), and may be used to control RPM (or speed). I suspect the little controller that faust9 mentioned, uses this pulse as a feedback signal to achieve the desired speed. If you don't have a controller, you could add one.. see this http://www.pccasegear.com/prod1618.htm as an example.. There are lots of them out there to choose from.

faust9 said:
Computer fan motors are usually dc brushless. changing the voltage does not change the speed.
I differ with faust9's opinion, voltage is used to control speed on brushless DC fans.. See graph on this ref)

tiben26 said:
what potentiometer should i use with the LM317T?
Some folks in UK have already done some legwork for your application.. Try this http://www.cpemma.co.uk/reg.html . They even give you a layout and parts list. :smile:

To enlist more of the computer hardware gurus on our forum you might ask under the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88 section of Technology. (though I find the labelling scheme our forum chose; is ambiguous, perhaps a better name for that section could be computer technology) :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Whats the electric part i need?

1. What is the purpose of the electric part I need?

The electric part you need serves as a component in an electrical system, allowing for the flow of electricity and the functioning of various devices.

2. How do I know which electric part I need?

The specific electric part you need will depend on the type of device or system you are working with. Researching the specific components and requirements of your system or seeking the advice of a professional can help determine the needed electric part.

3. How do I choose the right voltage for the electric part I need?

The voltage needed for the electric part will also depend on the specific system or device. It is important to follow the voltage requirements outlined in the device's manual or consult with a professional to ensure the correct voltage is used.

4. Can I use any brand of electric part for my system?

It is generally recommended to use the same brand of electric part as the rest of your system to ensure compatibility and proper functioning. However, if the specifications of the electric part match those of your system, a different brand may still work.

5. Where can I purchase the electric part I need?

Electric parts can be purchased from various sources, including hardware stores, online retailers, and specialized electronics stores. It is important to ensure the part is of good quality and meets the specifications of your system.