When did QM become standard Curriculum

In summary, quantum mechanics became a standard part of the undergraduate curriculum in the early 1960s.
joshthekid
Hi all,

Given that usually the most recent subject taught in a standard undergraduate curriculum is quantum mechanics, which was developed in the first half of the twentieth century, when did it become a standard part of the curriculum for undergraduates?

Likes atyy
Science news on Phys.org
Well I know for sure introductory courses like from Eisberg in the early sixties.

Dirac would have been giving lectures on quantum mechanics at Cambridge by 1930

I think the answer depends on the definition of "Quantum Mechanics"... drawing the line between (say) atomic physics and phenomena and the quantum theory by Schrodinger, etc..

For example, Harvard had an undergraduate course in 1922
"12. Radioactivity and X-Rays - Special Reference to Modern Theories of Matter"
and a course "primarily for graduates"
"15. Radiation and Applications of the Quantum Theory of Radiation"
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044107295107;view=1up;seq=506
This is, of course, before Schrodinger and Heisenberg's papers.

One would have to check other catalogues to conclude that these were "standard" courses by then.

The experimental physics related to quantum phenomena atomic mainly probably ad been taught to undergrads since at least 1930. However QM either the Heisenberg approach or the Schrödinger approach where probably only taught at the graduate level since sometimes in the thirties, it was the latest theory, how much string theory is taught to undergrads today?. Schiff's QM book was first published in 1949 and it was a graduate level book.

I posed this question to a recently-retired colleague, which led to a lot of interesting discussions.

The launch of Sputnik resulted in a complete overhaul of science and math education, from K through undergraduate, within a very short period of time.

Leighton's 1959 book (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7XH7AA/?tag=pfamazon01-20) was the first book intended for undergraduates that covered QM and surprisingly, introduced the harmonic oscillator before the infinite square well. The HO was not solved with raising and lowering operators, but by explicitly solving the differential equation. You can find free PDFs of this book. Prior to this book, undergrad presentations of QM were qualitative.

Similarly, in K-12 education, the Physical Science Study Committee (PSSC) (http://www.compadre.org/portal/pssc/pssc.cfm) re-designed the entire science curriculum and also introductory Physics textbooks and labs for undergrads- compare a pre-1957 intro book to a post-1957 book and the differences are striking- considerably more math and derivations, for one. The present-day intro curriculum is nearly unchanged from the PSSC.

Likes jtbell, Dr. Courtney, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
1959, eh? I would have guessed a bit earlier, but still after World War II.

In the early 1970s, I got my first taste of QM in an "intro modern physics" course using a textbook by Wehr and Richards. I don't remember what my upper-level undergraduate QM course used, except that it was published by Addison-Wesley and had an orange cover.

Related to When did QM become standard Curriculum

1. When did Quantum Mechanics become a standard part of the curriculum?

In the early 20th century, Quantum Mechanics (QM) began to emerge as a new field of study in physics. However, it wasn't until the mid-1920s that QM became a standard part of the curriculum in universities and scientific institutions. This was due to the groundbreaking work of scientists such as Max Planck, Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, and Werner Heisenberg.

2. What were the key developments that led to the incorporation of QM into the curriculum?

The key developments that led to the incorporation of QM into the curriculum were the discoveries of the photoelectric effect by Albert Einstein, the quantization of atomic energy levels by Niels Bohr, and the uncertainty principle by Werner Heisenberg. These discoveries provided evidence for the existence of quantum particles and the need for a new understanding of the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.

3. Was there resistance to including QM in the curriculum?

Yes, there was initially resistance to including QM in the curriculum. Many scientists and professors at the time were skeptical of the new theories and concepts proposed by QM. However, as more evidence and experiments supported the principles of QM, it became increasingly difficult to ignore its importance in understanding the physical world.

4. How has the teaching of QM evolved since its incorporation into the curriculum?

The teaching of QM has evolved significantly since its incorporation into the curriculum. In the early days, QM was primarily taught through lectures and theoretical discussions. However, as technology advanced, experiments and demonstrations became an integral part of teaching QM. Today, QM is also taught through computer simulations and interactive learning methods to help students better understand the complex concepts.

5. Will QM continue to be a standard part of the curriculum in the future?

Yes, it is highly likely that QM will continue to be a standard part of the curriculum in the future. As our understanding of the universe and the behavior of matter continues to evolve, QM will remain a crucial field of study. In fact, new developments and applications of QM in areas such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography will likely lead to even more emphasis on QM in the curriculum.