Where are the missing nukes from the 90s now?

• Thread starter WatermelonPig
  • Start date
In summary: The Tybee Island B-47 crash was an incident on February 5, 1958, in which the United States Air Force lost a 7,600-pound (3,400 kg) Mark 15 hydrogen bomb in the waters off Tybee Island near Savannah, Georgia, USA. During a practice exercise the B-47 bomber carrying it collided in midair with an F-86 fighter plane. To prevent a nuclear explosion, the bomb's arming switch was accidentally thrown to the "armed" position.
Why are we going back to name calling and such on a thread that has been inactive for 2 months?

Engineering news on Phys.org
zapperzero said:
Ohh, but this is QuantumPion and to him, everything nuclear is GOOD (or at least, mostly harmless).
QuantumPion consistently downplays dirty bombs. A dirty bomb is a terror weapon and as such can use uranium and plutonium as part of the dirt along with hospital radioactive waste and cesium samples and crap like that. The damage comes not from the explosion, but from the terror it brings to an uneducated populace. Radioactive contamination is something that is fearful to Americans, Canadians, Europeans, yet 99 percent of them can not tell you what a REM or a Sievert is without quickly looking it up on Wikipaedia.

We all need to learn. I have started a thread about the Nuclear Power Industry and Cancer, asking for actual scientific study links so that we can see the correlating data (IF ANY). It is here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3382425#post3382425

Last edited:
If you wanted to make a criticality weapon you wouldn't even need to plutonium sphere, you could just take one sphere of plutonium and then put a block or 2 of tungsten carbide or some other neutron reflector beside it and reflect the neutrons back into the sphere causing criticallity.

I think that would be possible, anyone know any better

Joe Neubarth said:
QuantumPion consistently downplays dirty bombs. A dirty bomb is a terror weapon and as such can use uranium and plutonium as part of the dirt along with hospital radioactive waste and cesium samples and crap like that. The damage comes not from the explosion, but from the terror it brings to an uneducated populace. Radioactive contamination is something that is fearful to Americans, Canadians, Europeans, yet 99 percent of them can not tell you what a REM or a Sievert is without quickly looking it up on Wikipaedia.

I have never downplayed the terror aspect of a dirty bomb. I merely refuted your original claim that a dirty bomb containing uranium could make a large area uninhabitable. Instead of admitting you were wrong, you went on a tantrum of childish personal attacks against me. And now you are resorting to making false attributions about what I said, which is kind of silly since you only have to back one page in this thread to see what I actually said.

QuantumPion said:
I have never downplayed the terror aspect of a dirty bomb. I merely refuted your original claim that a dirty bomb containing uranium could make a large area uninhabitable. Instead of admitting you were wrong, you went on a tantrum of childish personal attacks against me. And now you are resorting to making false attributions about what I said, which is kind of silly since you only have to back one page in this thread to see what I actually said.

Playing your silly games, again, I see. I will not bite this time.

Joe Neubarth said:
Playing your silly games, again, I see. I will not bite this time.

It's a good thing you edited your post. You probably would have been banned from the forum for what you originally said :smile:

Anyways, since you are too lazy to look back one page, I'll make it easy on you.

clancy688 said:
If there are indeed nukes missing, they are at least 20 years old - and have not been maintained during this time.
I don't think that they are still operational...

Joe Neubarth said:
Though they more than likely would not detonate, The Uranium and Plutonium could be recycled or used in a Dirty Bomb. One well placed Dirty Bomb could make a large population area uninhabitable.

QuantumPion said:
Actually it wouldn't, especially not one made of plutonium. The only way for a dirty bomb to be remotely effective would be if it were made of a high activity isotope like cobolt-60. But the whole premise of a dirty bomb is flawed, since the explosion would spread the material out to non-dangerous concentrations. You could not make a whole city uninhabitable with a transportable amount of radioactive material. The only damage would be due to the explosion part itself, and any panic the news causes.

QuantumPion said:
Well if you want to be derogatory and call me names that's fine, but you're still wrong. I never said you couldn't make a dirty bomb using uranium and plutonium. I simply stated the fact that such a weapon would not be effective in any way, and it would not cause any casualties or damage, apart from the conventional explosive itself.

Maybe you should educate yourself on the topic before insulting forum members whom you know nothing about.

You see, the quote above shows that you do not understand the importance of a Dirty Bomb. When you say it will "not be effective in any way," you show tremendous ignorance.
When you say it will "not cause damage," you show tremendous ignorance.

I point out that you need to learn a little about terror and you take offense. That is a shame. Learn a little and profit thereby. I will gladly educate you if you want.

QuantumPion said:
It's a good thing you edited your post. You probably would have been banned from the forum for what you originally said :smile:

Anyways, since you are too lazy to look back one page, I'll make it easy on you.

Quantum, you know that I will tease you when you disagree with me. They really should not ban people for teasing, but they do.

Hey, let's be friends. You did not know what the purpose of a Dirty Bomb was. It shows in everything you post. You were most wrong and I was right as usual. People will flee from an area that is contaminated. Thus it becomes uninhabitable for a season. The only people who do not flee from contaminated areas are the Japanese and they have some serious contamination.

Regardless, you now know that a Dirty Bomb is a psychological terror weapon first and foremost.

rc1102 said:
If you wanted to make a criticality weapon you wouldn't even need to plutonium sphere, you could just take one sphere of plutonium and then put a block or 2 of tungsten carbide or some other neutron reflector beside it and reflect the neutrons back into the sphere causing criticallity.

I think that would be possible, anyone know any better

Well, for the layman that would be a whole lot of trouble, and besides, putting those pieces together could be seriously injurious to your health.

Joe Neubarth said:
Well, for the layman that would be a whole lot of trouble, and besides, putting those pieces together could be seriously injurious to your health.

Not that any islamic suicide fanatic would care...

I think the big problem lies in carrying the radioactive materials from its obvious source (ex-soviet russia with all its orphan sources, for example obsolete lighthouse beacons), to a western country.
I recently read that sensors for detecting radioactive materials at ports are sensitive enough to go off when measuring bananas.

clancy688 said:
Not that any islamic suicide fanatic would care...

AMEN, brother.

clancy688 said:
I think the big problem lies in carrying the radioactive materials from its obvious source (ex-soviet russia with all its orphan sources, for example obsolete lighthouse beacons), to a western country.
I recently read that sensors for detecting radioactive materials at ports are sensitive enough to go off when measuring bananas.

Bananas will tip your scale if there are enough of them. We need those sensitive sensors. Sadly there is no fool proof way of detecting a primitive atomic bomb if it is hidden in the middle of a deep full fuel tank on a cargo ship. Thus our harbors will make good terrorist targets.