Where Can Beginners Find Simple Geant4 Program Examples?

• Thread starter aznsaiyan1029
  • Start date
  • Tags
    geant4
In summary, Geant4 is a program that can be used to simulate and study physical phenomena. It can be used to study particles moving through a slab of lead, for example. Beginners may find it difficult to learn how to use Geant4 on their own, so it may be helpful to have someone to help them.
aznsaiyan1029
Hi, I am new on using the program Geant4. I got it installed into my window xp computer from the instruction from http://geant4.slac.stanford.edu/installation/

I am currently looking for some tutorials on how to use the program. I found some helps from http://geant4.in2p3.fr/2007/prog/prog.htm and http://hypernews.slac.stanford.edu/HyperNews/geant4/cindex, but I only learned the information in broken pieces, since I do not know much about computer.

Does anyone know if there is any simple geant4 program examples with some sorts of walkthrough for beginner users? It cane be just a simple particles passing through a slab of lead. I just want to learn how to write a simple code from scratch that can run. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I am an absolute beginner too and really need help. Please if you have any info, could u let me know? I have installed the software and do not know how to proceed.

I used Cgywin to type in the command. You should be able to run the examples with it after you extract everything correctly. I used one of the graphic program, hepRApp to generate the visual of the examples.
When it comes to learning new program, I notice most of the time we are on our own. Professors do not know much about how to use Geant4 either...
Pm me your msn, aim, or whatever, then maybe we can help each other online, because it is hard to explain things here in such confined comment boxes.

Hi, I think it is a good idea, maybe we can learn together and exchange ideas. See my PM. Add me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, i never got your pm. Did you see my pm message though?

I did not see your pm, I think somebody is deleting it. I posted mine too but it was deleted. i haven't made much progress, trying to improve my knowledge in c++ first. would have been good if these guys don't delete my id. here it is again deadman_smilingATyahoo.com

I am a beginner too.I can not find a good book or material for a beginner like me.Do you have any suggestions?

Some of you may want to check out GAMOS. It's almost a front end for geant that allows you to write input files much like you do in MCNP.

http://fismed.ciemat.es/GAMOS/

Related to Where Can Beginners Find Simple Geant4 Program Examples?

1. What is Geant4 and why is it useful in scientific research?

Geant4 is a toolkit used for simulating the passage of particles through matter. It is useful in scientific research because it allows for the detailed study and analysis of particle interactions, which is important in fields such as nuclear and high energy physics, medical physics, and space science.

2. How do I get started with Geant4?

To get started with Geant4, you will need to download and install the toolkit on your computer. You can find the necessary files and instructions on the Geant4 website. Additionally, there are many tutorials and resources available online that can help guide you through the process.

3. What programming languages are used in Geant4?

Geant4 is primarily written in C++, but it also has interfaces for other languages such as Python, Fortran, and Java. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of C++ in order to use Geant4 effectively.

4. How can Geant4 be applied in my specific research area?

Geant4 has a wide range of applications and can be used in many different research areas, including but not limited to nuclear and particle physics, medical imaging and therapy, radiation protection, and space science. It is important to familiarize yourself with the toolkit and its capabilities in order to determine how it can be applied in your specific research area.

5. Are there any resources available for troubleshooting or getting help with Geant4?

Yes, there are many resources available for troubleshooting and getting help with Geant4. The Geant4 User Forum is a great place to ask questions and get assistance from experienced users. There are also online tutorials, documentation, and workshops available to help you learn and navigate the toolkit.