Where Can I Find a Control Board for an Autonomous Robot with 8 Servos?

In summary, a control board for an autonomous robot with 8 servos can be found at various online retailers such as Amazon, RobotShop, and Adafruit. These control boards are designed specifically for controlling multiple servos and can be programmed to perform various functions and movements. They are also compatible with various microcontrollers and come with user-friendly software for easy customization and control. Additionally, some hobby stores and electronics shops may also carry these control boards.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have in mind to build a robot which needs 8 servos to provide movements, what i can not find is a control board, i want the robot to be completely autonomous, no radio control or wires to computer doe's anyone know if a board is made for what i want?
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Woolie, have you not been warned upon several occasions about advertizing your sex life on line? And I'm pretty sure that at your age, 8 servos are far more than you need for satisfaction.

Ignoring that last comment... :)

Google has hundreds of control boards.

Depends what you want. Mostly, you program a simple board to react to switches being bumped or ultrasonic detection of barriers or changing light levels or something like that. Decisions are then made to back off, turn left or whatever using control of the motors that drive the wheels if it is a car.

It is a fun thing to do, but very time consuming. Finding one to be already programmed for what you want would be unlikely unless you get a Lego or Radio Shack toy robot that already does tricks.

Robots as used in toys use servos while precision robots probably use stepper motors.

vk6kro said:
Ignoring that last comment... :).

Whoa, dude... don't be stepping on me. My only two priorities in life are to razz Wollie and to get his daughter. Since the latter is out of the question, that leaves only one avenue of escape.

http://www.robotshop.ca/society-of-robots-axon-microcontroller.html

I just found this, do you think it will do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
danger said:
whoa, dude... Don't be stepping on me. My only two priorities in life are to razz wollie and to get his daughter. Since the latter is out of the question, that leaves only one avenue of escape.

lol,

Whoa, dude... don't be stepping on me. My only two priorities in life are to razz Wollie and to get his daughter. Since the latter is out of the question, that leaves only one avenue of escape.
I've heard about these isolated mountain families and don't like to get involved in family stuff...

http://www.robotshop.ca/society-of-r...ontroller.html

I just found this, do you think it will do the job.

I guess it depends on what you want to do and if you know how to program the control board or what language it is programmed in. You haven't said what you really want this robot to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
vk6kro said:
You haven't said what you really want this robot to do.
That's a very good point. I can design and build machines, but have no knowledge of electronics. The end purpose is pretty important for the over-all design.

waht said:
You could make a bot with a wide range motion.
So many possible responses to that... What to do, I wonder... what to do...? :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

Danger said:
So many possible responses to that... What to do, I wonder... what to do...? :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

Yes!

interpret at your own risk

The robot will wander about the house, so no wirer connections between robot and controller they must be onboard, so i need a microcontroller and servo driver on the same board if possible.

Related to Where Can I Find a Control Board for an Autonomous Robot with 8 Servos?

1. What is a control board?

A control board is a circuit board that is responsible for controlling and regulating the functions of a system or device. It typically contains microprocessors, sensors, and other electronic components that allow it to receive input, make decisions, and send output signals to different parts of the system.

2. How do I know if my control board is malfunctioning?

If your system or device is not functioning properly, it could be a sign of a malfunctioning control board. Common symptoms include error messages, unresponsive controls, and abnormal behavior. It is best to consult a technician or refer to the user manual for troubleshooting steps.

3. Can I replace a control board myself?

Replacing a control board requires technical knowledge and expertise, so it is not recommended for individuals without experience in electronics. It is best to consult a professional technician for proper installation and to ensure compatibility with your system or device.

4. How long does a control board last?

The lifespan of a control board can vary depending on the quality of the components and how well it is maintained. On average, a control board can last anywhere from 5 to 10 years. However, if it is subjected to harsh conditions or excessive use, it may need to be replaced sooner.

5. Can I upgrade my control board?

In some cases, it is possible to upgrade a control board to improve its functionality or compatibility with newer systems. However, this should only be done with proper knowledge and expertise to avoid damaging the system or device. It is best to consult a professional technician for advice on upgrading your control board.