Where Can I Find Analytical Resources for Class D Amplifiers?

In summary, the conversation was about finding resources for learning about Class D amplifiers, specifically with a good analytical approach and explanations of equations. One person suggested starting with manufacturers' appnotes and datasheets, while another preferred vacuum tubes and output transformers for audio. They also shared a link to a tube amp with a Bluetooth interface, noting that it was for interest only and not an endorsement.
Runei
Does anyone know a good book about Class D amplifiers, or perhaps some other resources? I'm looking for a place where they have a good analytical approach. Equations and stuff, and explanations thereof. Any takers?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Manufacturers' appnotes and datasheets are where one learns the stuff that's not yet made its way into college curricula.

I'd start someplace like this
http://www.ti.com/lit/sl/slyy013g/slyy013g.pdf
it's a portal into a library of lots of devices that do what you are asking about.

I still prefer vacuum tubes and output transformers for audio.
"Beam power pentodes forever !"

here's a tube amp with Bluetooth interface
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1969365167/bluetube-audio-vacuum-tube-amplifier-with-built-in

tube amp link is posted for interest, not an endorsement
just the incongruity of it appealed to me

old jim

Last edited:

Related to Where Can I Find Analytical Resources for Class D Amplifiers?

What is a Class D amplifier?

A Class D amplifier is a type of audio amplifier that uses pulse width modulation (PWM) to amplify signals. Unlike traditional Class A, B, and AB amplifiers, which use linear amplification, Class D amplifiers use switching technology to achieve high efficiency and low heat dissipation.

How does a Class D amplifier work?

A Class D amplifier works by converting the audio signal into a series of square wave pulses, which are then amplified and filtered to recreate the original audio signal. This switching process allows for greater efficiency, resulting in less heat and power loss compared to other amplifier classes.

What are the advantages of using a Class D amplifier?

There are several advantages to using a Class D amplifier, including high efficiency, low heat dissipation, and compact size. Additionally, these amplifiers are ideal for powering subwoofers and other high-powered sound systems due to their ability to handle high power levels without distortion.

What are some common applications of Class D amplifiers?

Class D amplifiers are commonly used in car audio systems, home theater systems, and professional sound systems. They are also popular in portable audio devices, such as Bluetooth speakers and headphones, due to their small size and low power consumption.

Are there any drawbacks to using a Class D amplifier?

While Class D amplifiers have many advantages, they do have some drawbacks. One potential issue is that they can produce electromagnetic interference (EMI) due to the switching frequencies used. Additionally, they may not provide the same level of sound quality as other amplifier classes, although this gap is closing as technology improves.