Where Can I Find Molar Absorptivity Data for Chromate and Dichromate Ions?

• Thread starter 24forChromium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Database
In summary, the conversation is about obtaining molar absorptivity data for chromate and dichromate ions at different wavelengths. The suggestion is to use the Sadtler database, but the links provided are protected and not relevant to the ions in question. The suggestion is also made to register the entire curve independently.
24forChromium
I need the molar absorptivity data of chromate and dichromate ions at various wavelengths, can anyone suggest a database or something like that?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
24forChromium said:
a database
Sadtler.

Bystander said:
Sadtler.
can you send me a link?

24forChromium said:
I need the molar absorptivity data of chromate and dichromate ions at various wavelengths, can anyone suggest a database or something like that?

Your posts suggest you will be doing an analysis - why don't you start registering the whole curve by yourself?

Related to Where Can I Find Molar Absorptivity Data for Chromate and Dichromate Ions?

1. What is molar absorptivity and why is it important for chromate and dichromate ions?

Molar absorptivity is a measure of how strongly a substance absorbs light at a specific wavelength. It is important for chromate and dichromate ions because it allows us to quantify the amount of light absorbed by these ions, which can help us determine their concentration in a solution.

2. Where can I find reliable molar absorptivity data for chromate and dichromate ions?

The most reliable source for molar absorptivity data is scientific journals and databases. Some examples include the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) database and the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. These sources provide peer-reviewed and accurate data for chromate and dichromate ions.

3. How does the molar absorptivity of chromate and dichromate ions vary with wavelength?

The molar absorptivity of chromate and dichromate ions varies with wavelength, with a peak absorption usually occurring at around 350-360 nm. This is due to the electronic transitions of these ions, which absorb light at specific wavelengths.

4. Can I calculate the molar absorptivity of chromate and dichromate ions myself?

Yes, you can calculate the molar absorptivity of chromate and dichromate ions using the Beer-Lambert Law, which relates the concentration of a substance to its absorbance. However, this requires accurate experimental data and a good understanding of the principles of spectrophotometry.

5. How does the molar absorptivity of chromate and dichromate ions change with pH?

The molar absorptivity of chromate and dichromate ions is highly dependent on pH. At lower pH levels, the molar absorptivity decreases due to the formation of protonated species. At higher pH levels, the molar absorptivity increases due to the formation of hydroxide species. This is important to consider when measuring the concentration of these ions in a solution with varying pH.