Where in trig are we taught Asin(θ+ø) = Bsinθ+Ccosθ?

• Thread starter gikiian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the angle addition formula for sine is used in high-school trigonometry to represent Asin(θ+ø) in the form of Bsinθ+Ccosθ. This formula may not have been explicitly taught, but it can be derived from other formulas learned in high-school trigonometry.
gikiian
My undergrad senior-year Mechanical Vibrations book tells me that I should remember the notion that Asin(θ+ø) can also be represented in the form of Bsinθ+Ccosθ (and other linear combinations of sines and cosines), from high-school trigonometry class. However, I was never taught this in my high-school. I even read a lot of material and watched a lot of YouTube videos on trigonometry in my high-school years, but the notion that Asin(θ+ø) can also be represented in the form of Bsinθ+Ccosθ etc never came up.

I am just wondering where exactly in a average high-school curriculum are we taught this notion? Answer of one or two sentences would be enough.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's the angle addition formula for sine; $$A\sin(\theta+\phi)=A\sin\theta\cos\phi+A\cos\theta\sin\phi=B\sin \theta +C\cos\theta$$ where $$B=A\cos\phi\text{ and } C=A\sin\phi$$

So I guess that exact formula maybe isn't something that you saw in trig, but it follows immediately from one that you most definitely should have seen.

Related to Where in trig are we taught Asin(θ+ø) = Bsinθ+Ccosθ?

1. What is the meaning of Asin(θ+ø) = Bsinθ+Ccosθ in trigonometry?

This equation is known as the sum-to-product identity in trigonometry. It states that the sine of the sum of two angles (θ+ø) can be expressed as the sum of two sine functions with different coefficients (Bsinθ and Ccosθ).

2. How is Asin(θ+ø) = Bsinθ+Ccosθ used in trigonometric proofs?

This identity is commonly used in proving trigonometric equations and identities. It allows for the simplification of trigonometric expressions involving sums of angles into products of trigonometric functions.

3. Can Asin(θ+ø) = Bsinθ+Ccosθ be used to find the value of an angle?

No, this identity does not directly provide the value of an angle. It is used to simplify trigonometric expressions, not to solve for specific angles.

4. How is Asin(θ+ø) = Bsinθ+Ccosθ related to the unit circle?

The unit circle is a fundamental concept in trigonometry, representing a circle with a radius of 1 unit. This identity can be derived from the unit circle by using the Pythagorean theorem and the definitions of sine and cosine.

5. Are there any other versions of the sum-to-product identity in trigonometry?

Yes, there are two other versions of this identity: Acos(θ+ø) = Acosθ - Bsinθ and Atan(θ+ø) = (Atanθ + B) / (1 - Btanθ). These identities involve the cosine and tangent functions and can also be used in trigonometric proofs.