Where is the arrow of time if every decision is essentially instant?

In summary, John Gribbin's book 'Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality' explains a quantum interpretation that claims to solve the phenomenon of 'spooky action at a distance'. This interpretation suggests that quantum entities communicate through both forward and backward traveling waves, resulting in an overall time of zero. However, this raises questions about the arrow of time and entropy. It is unclear how this quantum interpretation deals with observed irreversibility.
Ryan_M
In John Gribbin's book 'Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality', Gribbins describes a quantum interpretation that claims to solve the so called,'spooky action at a distance'. From what I've gathered, perhaps naively, is that quantum entities spontaneously communicate through the act of retarded waves (traveling forward in time) and advanced waves (traveling backward in time) traveling along the same path, which then results in a cancellation and an ultimate overall time of zero. The whole process is completely atemporal and every particle's decision, everywhere in the universe, is instant.

So, in the hope that my over simplified perception is at least not complete rubbish, I ask, how can there be any arrow of time at all? How can entropy even have a chance in doing its job? Should the net result not be in favor of the retarded waves? Am I missing something technical or something more philosophical?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know its in breach of forum rules to try and bump up my own post, but can somebody please shed some light or at least shoot me down if this is complete crap?

Ryan_M said:
In John Gribbin's book 'Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality', Gribbins describes a quantum interpretation ...

There are many "quantum interpretations" on the market. Some of them include microscopic irreversibility from the very start (as Prigogine was advocating for), some have to relegate it to causes that need to be invented later on.

That is a general answer, I know. I do not know how the observed irreversibility is dealt with in one particular scheme that Gribbin is talking about.

Related to Where is the arrow of time if every decision is essentially instant?

1. What is the arrow of time?

The arrow of time refers to the concept that time moves in a specific direction, usually from the past to the future. It is based on the observation that events in the universe tend to occur in a particular order and cannot be reversed.

2. How does the arrow of time relate to decision making?

The arrow of time is closely linked to the concept of causality, which states that every action has a cause and effect. In decision making, each choice we make has consequences that can affect the future, thus contributing to the direction of the arrow of time.

3. Does every decision have an instant impact on the arrow of time?

While every decision may have an impact on the future, it is not necessarily instantaneous. The effects of a decision may take time to manifest and may also be influenced by other factors, making the concept of an instantaneous impact on the arrow of time less straightforward.

4. How does the concept of time dilation affect the arrow of time?

Time dilation, a concept in the theory of relativity, states that time can appear to pass at different rates depending on the observer's perspective. This can affect the perception of the arrow of time, as different observers may experience time differently.

5. Can the arrow of time be reversed?

The arrow of time is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the universe and cannot be reversed. While some physical processes may appear to go in the opposite direction, the overall direction of time remains constant.