Which book should I buy for Tensor Analysis?

In summary, the person is struggling with general relativity and doesn't feel confident with the subject. They have read the first 3 chapters of Schutz's 'A first course in General Relativity' and the first couple of chapters of Schutz's 'Geometrical methods of mathematical physics'. They are looking for a book that will help them understand tensor analysis. They have read Heinbockel's 'Introduction to tensor calculus and continuum mechanics' and seen that it uses the old index notation. They have seen mention of Goldber's 'Tensor Analysis on Manifolds' and Wald's 'Tensor Analysis on Manifolds'. They are undecided on whether to read both books simultaneously or dip into one after finishing the other
Mmmm
I'm just starting out with learning a bit of general relativity and have read the first 3 chapters of Schutz's 'A first course in General Relativity' (up to and including the Tensor analysis chapter). I have managed to do about 90% of the exercises but I don't really feel confident with it. I've decided that I need to do some studying of tensor analysis so that I can feel at ease with this subject but I'm not sure which book to buy.

I have also read the first couple of chapters of Schutz's 'Geometrical methods of mathematical physics' in order to get some more insight into this, but I think that the problem is that Schutz never gives any examples and so when I tackle a problem I'm never sure if I did it in a 'good' way or not.

I have a copy of Heinbockel's 'Introduction to tensor calculus and continuum mechanics' which I have heard is nice and slow and gives lots of examples, but this book uses the old index notation and I'm not sure if it is worth my while reading this or not. Will one method help understanding with the other or should I avoid the index notation altogether?

I have seen mentioned in this forum Goldber's 'Tensor Analysis on Manifolds'. does this have lots of examples? and the Schaum book I know has lots of examples but is this another index notation book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a copy of Wald's book too? I felt that the two of them were sufficient to get me to understand tensor fields. Schutz explains tensors extremely well in my opinion (in the SR part of the book) but he's just talking about some arbitrary vector space and some basis of that vector space, so it's not easy to see how this relates to manifolds. Wald defines the tangent space and explains how a coordinate system can be used to construct a basis for the tangent space. (Schutz didn't explain this well if I remember correctly). Now you can apply everything you've learned from Schutz, with the vector space being [itex]T_pM[/itex] (the tangent space of M at p) and the basis vectors being the derivative operators [itex]\partial/\partial x^\mu|_p[/itex]. After that it's pretty easy to understand e.g. vector fields as local sections of the tangent bundle.

It might be a good idea to also read (the interesting parts of) some book that uses the index free notation, but unfortunately I don't know what the best recommendation is. Wald uses the abstract index notation, which must be the best one by far when you have to construct new tensors from old ones using the operation of contraction, but is (in my opinion) a little awkward in definitions of e.g. a connection or the curvature tensor.

I was lead to believe that Wald's book was a fair bit more difficult than the Schutz and so planned on reading it after I had finished Schutz. Do you suggest dipping into both simultaneously then? I really want to get to grips with this before I continue as it is pretty important stuff.

Related to Which book should I buy for Tensor Analysis?

1. What is Tensor Analysis?

Tensor Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are objects that describe the linear relations between different coordinate systems. It is used extensively in physics, engineering, and other fields to analyze and solve problems involving multiple dimensions and coordinate systems.

2. Why do I need to buy a book on Tensor Analysis?

A book on Tensor Analysis can provide a comprehensive and structured approach to learning the subject. It can also serve as a reference guide for advanced concepts and applications. Additionally, having a physical copy of a book can be helpful for studying and taking notes.

3. What are the essential topics that should be covered in a book on Tensor Analysis?

A good book on Tensor Analysis should cover the basics of tensors, including notation and operations, as well as more advanced topics such as covariant and contravariant tensors, tensor calculus, and the applications of tensors in various fields. It should also include exercises and examples to help reinforce the concepts learned.

4. What are some recommended books on Tensor Analysis?

Some highly recommended books on Tensor Analysis include "Introduction to Tensor Calculus and Continuum Mechanics" by John H. Heinbockel, "A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors" by Daniel Fleisch, and "Tensor Analysis: Theory and Applications" by I. S. Sokolnikoff. It is also a good idea to consult with professors or colleagues who have experience in the field for their recommendations.

5. How can I determine which book on Tensor Analysis is best for me?

Choosing the right book on Tensor Analysis depends on your level of understanding and your specific needs. Consider factors such as the level of difficulty, the style of writing, and the inclusion of practical examples and exercises. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare different books to find the one that best suits your learning style and goals.