Which choice do I choose from the quadratic?

In summary: It should be: -V_{0y}^2 {+-} \sqrt {V_{0y}^2 +2(a_y)(-\Delta y)} all divded by a_y Note the difference in signs under the square root. This should give you a positive value for t_2.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A circus cat has been trained to leap off a 12 m high platform and land on a pillow. The cat leaps off at [itex] v_0 = 3.5 m/s [/itex] at an angle of 25 degrees. Where should the trainer place the pillow so that the cat lands safely? What is the cats velocity as she lands on the pillow?

Homework Equations

[itex] \Delta x = (1/2)(V_{0x} + V_x)t [/itex]

[itex] \Delta x = V_{0x}t + (1/2)a_x t^2 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculated [itex] V_{0y} = 3.5sin(25) = 1.479163916 m/s [/itex]

and

[itex] V_{0x} = V_x = 3.5cos(25) = 3.172077255 m/s [/itex]

So there are two times here,

what I will call [itex] t_1 [/itex] = time it takes from start of movement to very top, and then back down, so a [itex] \Delta y [/itex] displacement of 0.

[itex] t_2 [/itex] = From the above, the second part, starting when the y displacement hits 0, to when the cat lands on the pillow.

I use equation [itex] V_{0x} + a_x t [/itex] to find [itex] t_1 [/itex]

Since I know the inital y velocity = 1.479163916, I know that at the point I'm talking about, after it goes up and comes back down to a [itex]\Delta y [/itex] of 0, the velocity is going to be the same magnitude but opposite direction, so final y velocity = -1.479163916

solving for t I get

[itex] t_1 = (-1.479163916 - 1.479163916 ) / -9.8 = .3018701869 [/itex]

Does this make sense so far?

Now I have to get [itex] t_2 [/itex] so I use formula: [itex] \Delta y = V_{0y}t + (a_y/2)t^2 [/itex]

with [itex] V_{0x} = -1.479163916 m/s [/itex] since we are starting AFTER [itex] t_1[/itex], [itex] a_x/2 = -4.9 m/s^2 [/itex] and [itex] \Delta y = 12 m [/itex]

Now I want to use the quadratic equation to get my t here, but under the square root I get a negative value. my quadratic looks like:

[itex] -V_{0y} {+-} \sqrt {V_{0y}^2 -4(a_y/2)(-\Delta y)} [/itex] all divded by [itex] a_y [/itex]

is what my quadratic looks like. Plugging the values I listed above for the variables, I get a - inside my sqroot which makes no sense to me. I realize that this IS the way to go about this problem though, I just don't understand what I did wrong from here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you used for ax. There is no acceleration in the x-direction. I suggest that you write an expression giving the position of the cat above the pillow at any time t and then find at what time the cat is on the pillow. This is more direct than doing it in two segments which leaves you open for additional errors.

kuruman said:
I don't know what you used for ax. There is no acceleration in the x-direction. I suggest that you write an expression giving the position of the cat above the pillow at any time t and then find at what time the cat is on the pillow. This is more direct than doing it in two segments which leaves you open for additional errors.

Sorry I meant to say I used formula
[itex] \Delta y = V_{0y}t + (a_y/2)t^2 [/itex] and ay was = -9.8 m/s^2... for time 2.

I didn't use any x velocity in my calculations so far at all, that was just a typo..

Although your way does seem more direct, I didn't think of that way myself.. Is it still possible to get the answer the way I'm doing it?

Rijad Hadzic said:
Is it still possible to get the answer the way I'm doing
Yes it is, but the more steps you introduce, the more likely you are to make a mistake. Just solve the quadratic you quoted in your previous post and you are done.

Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

A circus cat has been trained to leap off a 12 m high platform and land on a pillow. The cat leaps off at [itex] v_0 = 3.5 m/s [/itex] at an angle of 25 degrees. Where should the trainer place the pillow so that the cat lands safely? What is the cats velocity as she lands on the pillow?

Homework Equations

[itex] \Delta x = (1/2)(V_{0x} + V_x)t [/itex]

[itex] \Delta x = V_{0x}t + (1/2)a_x t^2 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculated [itex] V_{0y} = 3.5sin(25) = 1.479163916 m/s [/itex]

and

[itex] V_{0x} = V_x = 3.5cos(25) = 3.172077255 m/s [/itex]

So there are two times here,

what I will call [itex] t_1 [/itex] = time it takes from start of movement to very top, and then back down, so a [itex] \Delta y [/itex] displacement of 0.

[itex] t_2 [/itex] = From the above, the second part, starting when the y displacement hits 0, to when the cat lands on the pillow.

I use equation [itex] V_{0x} + a_x t [/itex] to find [itex] t_1 [/itex]

Since I know the inital y velocity = 1.479163916, I know that at the point I'm talking about, after it goes up and comes back down to a [itex]\Delta y [/itex] of 0, the velocity is going to be the same magnitude but opposite direction, so final y velocity = -1.479163916

solving for t I get

[itex] t_1 = (-1.479163916 - 1.479163916 ) / -9.8 = .3018701869 [/itex]

Does this make sense so far?

Now I have to get [itex] t_2 [/itex] so I use formula: [itex] \Delta y = V_{0y}t + (a_y/2)t^2 [/itex]

with [itex] V_{0x} = -1.479163916 m/s [/itex] since we are starting AFTER [itex] t_1[/itex], [itex] a_x/2 = -4.9 m/s^2 [/itex] and [itex] \Delta y = 12 m [/itex]

Now I want to use the quadratic equation to get my t here, but under the square root I get a negative value. my quadratic looks like:

[itex] -V_{0y} {+-} \sqrt {V_{0y}^2 -4(a_y/2)(-\Delta y)} [/itex] all divded by [itex] a_y [/itex]

is what my quadratic looks like. Plugging the values I listed above for the variables, I get a - inside my sqroot which makes no sense to me. I realize that this IS the way to go about this problem though, I just don't understand what I did wrong from here?

I think you need ##\Delta y = -12## in the equation for ##t_2##.

Here is how I would do it if I adopted your approach:
To get ##t_1##, solve
$$12 =12 + V_{0y} t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2\hspace{1cm}(1)$$
and to get ##t_2## solve
$$0 = 12 - V_{0y} t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2 \hspace{1cm} (2) $$
However, as 'kurman' suggests, you can get ##t_0 = t_1 + t_2## directly by solving
$$0 = 12 + V_{0y} t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2 \hspace{1cm} (3)$$
Note that the only difference between (2) and (3) is the sign of the ##V_{0y}t## term on the right.

The positive root of (2) is the one you want; you might want to think about the meaning (if any!) of the negative root. Ditto for eq. (3).

Ray Vickson said:
I think you need ##\Delta y = -12## in the equation for ##t_2##.

Here is how I would do it if I adopted your approach:
To get ##t_1##, solve
$$12 =12 + V_{0y} t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2\hspace{1cm}(1)$$
and to get ##t_2## solve
$$0 = 12 - V_{0y} t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2 \hspace{1cm} (2) $$
However, as 'kurman' suggests, you can get ##t_0 = t_1 + t_2## directly by solving
$$0 = 12 + V_{0y} t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2 \hspace{1cm} (3)$$
Note that the only difference between (2) and (3) is the sign of the ##V_{0y}t## term on the right.

The positive root of (2) is the one you want; you might want to think about the meaning (if any!) of the negative root. Ditto for eq. (3).

Thanks for the response. I think I'm starting to understand now.

Rijad Hadzic said:
Thanks for the response. I think I'm starting to understand now.

While I have your attention: first, thanks for using LaTeX to type your solution. However, can I suggest some improvements?
(1) Never use "sin" or "cos", which produce ugly results that are hard to read; always use "\sin" or "\cos", as these have been designed to produce pleasing output: for instance, ##sin a## vs. ##\sin a##. The same goes for most of the common short functions: all the trig and inverse trig functions, the functions 'exp', 'log', 'ln', the hyperbolic functions (but not their inverses!), the instructions 'lim' (for limit), 'inf' (for infimum), 'sup' (supremum), 'max, ' min' and some others like 'gcd' (greatest common divisor), etc.
(2) If you are not using radians to measure angles, be sure to Include the units of angular measurement, as in ##\sin(25^o)## or ##\sin(25^{\circ}).##

Likes Rijad Hadzic

Related to Which choice do I choose from the quadratic?

1. How do I determine which choice to choose from a quadratic equation?

The choice you should make depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve. You can use different methods such as factoring, completing the square, or the quadratic formula to solve a quadratic equation. The method you choose will depend on the form of the equation and the complexity of the problem.

2. What is the difference between the two solutions of a quadratic equation?

The two solutions of a quadratic equation represent the x-intercepts or roots of the equation. They are the points where the graph of the quadratic equation intersects the x-axis. The difference between the two solutions (also known as the discriminant) can tell you whether the graph of the equation will have two real solutions, one real solution, or no real solutions.

3. How can I check if my solution to a quadratic equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and simplifying. If the resulting equation is true, then your solution is correct. You can also graph the equation and see if your solution matches the x-intercepts of the graph.

4. Is there a shortcut to solving quadratic equations?

There are a few shortcuts that can make solving quadratic equations easier. For example, if the quadratic equation is in the form of (x + a)(x + b) = 0, then the solutions will be -a and -b. Also, if the coefficient of the x^2 term is 1, then the sum of the solutions will be equal to the negative of the coefficient of the x term.

5. Can I use the quadratic formula to solve any quadratic equation?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used to solve any quadratic equation, regardless of its form or complexity. However, there may be other methods that are more efficient or easier to use for certain types of equations.