Which Free Program Can Plot Vector Functions Like r(t) = (2cos(t), 2sin(t))?

In summary: R are some popular free programs for plotting vector functions. You can also use online tools like Wolfram Alpha or Desmos to plot vector functions. Some paid options include Mathematica and MATLAB.
Chipset3600
Hello guys, did you know any free program to plot vector functions? like this one: r(t) = (2cos(t), 2sin(t))

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Ploting a vectorial function

Try entering:

r(t)=<2cos(t),2sin(t)>

at wolfram alpha:

Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine

It will give you plots of the components, and a parametric plot, as well as the vector length.

MarkFL said:
Try entering:

r(t)=<2cos(t),2sin(t)>

at wolfram alpha:

Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine

It will give you plots of the components, and a parametric plot, as well as the vector length.

I want some that i can plot 3D vector functions and interact with the function mode to further facilitate my study in Calculos II. I have here the Mathematica 9, I am trying but i still not able to plot

Chipset3600 said:
I want some that i can plot 3D vector functions and interact with the function mode to further facilitate my study in Calculos II. I have here the Mathematica 9, I am trying but i still not able to plot

The mathematica command for what you'd like to plot would be

Code:
ParametricPlot[{2 Cos[t], 2 Sin[t]}, {t, 0, 2 Pi}]

In fact, I recommend taking a look at the following, for you to play around with:

Code:
Manipulate[ParametricPlot[{a Cos[2 Pi b t], a Sin[2 Pi b t]}, {t, 0, 1}, 
  PlotRange -> 10], {{a, 1}, 0.1, 10}, {{b, 0.5}, -1, 1}]

EDIT:
slight improvement:
Code:
Manipulate[
 ParametricPlot[{a Cos[2 Pi b t], a Sin[2 Pi b t]}, {t, 0, 1}, 
  PlotRange -> 10, 
  PlotLabel -> 
   Style[ToExpression[
     StringJoin["\[LeftAngleBracket]", ToString[a], "Sin[2\[Pi]*", 
      ToString[b], "t],Cos[2\[Pi]*", ToString[b], 
      "t]\[RightAngleBracket]"]]]]
 , {{a, 5}, 0.1, 10}, {{b, 0.5}, -1, 1}]

Last edited:
Chipset3600 said:
Hello guys, did you know any free program to plot vector functions? like this one: r(t) = (2cos(t), 2sin(t))

Python

Related to Which Free Program Can Plot Vector Functions Like r(t) = (2cos(t), 2sin(t))?

1. What is a vectorial function?

A vectorial function is a mathematical function that takes in one or more inputs and produces a vector as an output. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of objects in space.

2. How do you plot a vectorial function?

To plot a vectorial function, you first need to determine the range of values for the input variables. Then, plug in these values into the function and calculate the corresponding output vectors. Finally, plot the output vectors on a coordinate system to visualize the function.

3. What is the difference between a scalar function and a vectorial function?

A scalar function produces a single numerical value as an output, while a vectorial function produces a vector as an output. Scalar functions are commonly used to describe simple relationships, while vectorial functions are used to describe more complex relationships, such as motion in multiple dimensions.

4. Can a vectorial function have multiple outputs?

Yes, a vectorial function can have multiple outputs. This is known as a multivariate vectorial function and is commonly used in physics to describe systems with multiple variables and outputs.

5. How is a vectorial function represented mathematically?

A vectorial function is typically represented using vector notation, such as f(x) = [x, x2, sin(x)], where x is the input variable and the output vector contains the values of x, x2, and sin(x).