Which is the best way to post heavy LaTeX messages?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing different methods for drafting and formatting posts without using the Preview or Edit tools on the website. The options mentioned include using MS Notepad and typesetting with pdflatex, using LaTeX, and using Overleaf. The conversation also includes tips for using LaTeX and suggestions for collaborating on documents.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Hi PF

I'm about to post, and I want to draft it not making use of Preview or Edit tools. I'm thinking about the notepad, or is there another way? I think I was told about help from PF, but can't seem to find the thread where I read it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You could always write your message into MS Notepad and typeset the results using pdflatex or something to that effect.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
I use LaTeX a lot here at PF in replies to math questions, but these replies usually aren't very long. I always check any but the shortest LaTeX scripts using the Preview button, and fix any mistakes before I post my reply.
Speaking only for myself, I don't use any special LaTeX editors -- just Windows Notepad -- but that's just me.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
  • Haha
Likes pbuk, dextercioby and mcastillo356
One thing to note is that (La)TeX uses single-dollar signs instead of double-pound signs in order to switch to in-line math-mode. In case you are using either of these engines to typeset your messages, you will want to keep this in mind.

You will probably need to find-replace every non-escaped single-dollar sign with a double-pound sign every time you want to post the final draft of your message. The following code may help circumvent this hasslesome task.

Code:
(Macro definitions, but I'm not sure if this site accepts user-defined macros.)

\newif\ifMathMode
\def\mathShift{\ifMathMode\MathModefalse\else \MathModetrue $\fi}
\catcode`\#=13
\def#{\mathShift}

(Body of message here)

\catcode`\#=6

(End of post)

Last edited:
berkeman said:
I use Overleaf to typeset all of my supervision work and reports. You can configure it to automatically compile and display a preview of the document whenever you make an edit, the error logs are easy to understand and you can also have more than one author work on the same document. It's also what my uni's ##\TeX## society uses!

• Informative
Likes berkeman

Related to Which is the best way to post heavy LaTeX messages?

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used for posting heavy messages?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used for creating technical or scientific documents. It is popular for posting heavy messages because it allows for complex mathematical equations, symbols, and formatting to be easily displayed.

2. What are the different ways to post heavy LaTeX messages?

There are several ways to post heavy LaTeX messages, including using online editors or compilers, installing a LaTeX distribution on your computer, or using a plugin or extension for your preferred text editor or word processor.

3. Can I post heavy LaTeX messages on social media platforms?

Some social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, have limited support for LaTeX. However, there are workarounds and extensions available that allow for the posting of heavy LaTeX messages on these platforms.

4. Are there any limitations to posting heavy LaTeX messages?

The limitations for posting heavy LaTeX messages will depend on the platform or tool you are using. Some may have restrictions on the length or complexity of the message, while others may not support certain LaTeX commands or packages.

5. Are there any alternatives to using LaTeX for posting heavy messages?

While LaTeX is a popular choice for displaying heavy messages, there are other options available such as MathJax, which allows for the rendering of mathematical equations and symbols on web pages, or using images or screenshots of the equations.