Which Universities have the best graduate programs for theoretical physics?

In summary, MIT is a good school but its theoretical physics department may not be as strong as its peers. It's worth reading a leading journal in the field of interest and asking faculty at your college about the best place to pursue theoretical physics.
Fizzicist
I'm an UG right now, but I plan on doing research in theoretical physics (probably particle physics. I want to work on finding a TOE. Possibly QM or QED instead). Which schools are best for these pursuits? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
MIT I think ;-)

I don't think MIT is particularly strong in particle theory, particularly in comparison with its peers. Of course, it's hard to say who is the best for developing a "theory of everything" since one doesn't exist.

I was referring to top of the line mathematical physics. Particle theory is quite old, nowadays quantum gravity, string theory and geometrical methods of physics is what is in. And when it comes to that, I don't think any University can beat MIT, pehaps princeton and Berkeley (univ of california).

When looking for a university, or department, or professor, I recommend reading a leading journal in the particular field of one's interest, and look at who is publishing and of what institution they are a member.

I suspect one will find scores of universities.

I think it best to find a university that has mutually supportive theoretical and experimental programs.

Theoretical physics encompasses numerous areas, e.g. cosmology, astrophysics, particle physics, plasma physics, condensed matter physics, . . . .

I think Astronuc gives some very good advice. It's also worth falling back on the old pre-web advice and ask the faculty of your college.

Glenn, I'm afraid that if you look at the theory papers in the 50 top citied articles in 2008, MIT isn't there. Or rather, the person who was at MIT isn't there any more. That's not to say it's not a good school - but it's not particularly stronger in theory than its peers.

MIT does have many staff members working in many theoretical areas. There is a graduate who has a number of Tools (equations) for discovering the Theory of Everything. The graduate gives this set of Tools the mnemonic TTOE, Tools for defining TOE. More on this later.

soaralone1

soaralone1 said:
MIT does have many staff members working in many theoretical areas.

Of course. But that's a long way from saying that MIT is so strong in theoretical physics that the question "where should I go?" has a single answer.

soaralone1 said:
There is a graduate who has a number of Tools (equations) for discovering the Theory of Everything. The graduate gives this set of Tools the mnemonic TTOE, Tools for defining TOE. More on this later.

I'm not impressed. Lots of people say they are going to find the Theory of Everything. How many have actually done it?

One graduate has found TTOE, Tools to define TOE, the Theory of Everything. The grad has not found TOE, only key Tools.

soaralone1

You keep talking about "the grad" in third person. Is he you? And did this grad graduate with a recent PhD in theoretical physics? If not, the experience isn't really relevant, is it?

Furthermore, how does one know if one has found "key tools" without seeing the project through to the end? One might just as well found a better path...to a dead end.

I must say, I think that discouraging any genuine scientific pursuit of something that the field has been after for a very long time is a rather poor response to a new pragmatic minded person, interested in finding a new theory. And, I think to say that a TOE does not exist...is still something that has yet to be determined. Perhaps this Fizzicist will be the one to think far enough outside the box to find it.

As far as good theoretical physics/mathematics schools, here is a link to the a ranking list for Physics Undergrad Programs for 2009. Perhaps a good place to start, or get an idea of what shools could be a good fit for where you would like to go in the field:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-physics-schools/rankings

Last edited by a moderator:
Fizzicist said:
I want to work on finding a TOE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfjWa6yW2mk"
Pollux Beta said:
I must say, I think that discouraging any genuine scientific pursuit of something that the field has been after for a very long time is a rather poor response to a new pragmatic minded person, interested in finding a new theory. And, I think to say that a TOE does not exist...is still something that has yet to be determined. Perhaps this Fizzicist will be the one to think far enough outside the box to find it.

I just think one should be careful in stating that they want to find a theory of everything. I think string theory is poor result of this type of pursuit when compared to the success of prediction of other physical theories. Relativity was a result of outside the box thinking, but even it was able to predict testable results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pollux Beta said:
And, I think to say that a TOE does not exist...is still something that has yet to be determined.

No, it clearly doesn't exist. It may exist in the future but it doesn't now.

As for MIT, I maintain my position - a good school, but it's not substantially better at particle theory than its peers. The fact that someone graduated with a EE 56 years ago and now thinks he has (almost) developed a ToE says very little about it's physics department today.

Last edited:
I am going to have say UofChica, Princeton and Berkeley. Particularly Berkeley.

What about Caltech?
If someone mentions "theoretical", "physics", and "graduate program" in the same sentence, I think of Princeton. I don't have particularly good reasoning for it, but I know Princeton's math department is world class and works hand in hand with their physics department. UChicago is very good, but located in a not so nice area...

Leptos said:
What about Caltech?
If someone mentions "theoretical", "physics", and "graduate program" in the same sentence, I think of Princeton. I don't have particularly good reasoning for it, but I know Princeton's math department is world class and works hand in hand with their physics department. UChicago is very good, but located in a not so nice area...

Probably because of the "Advanced Institute of study"

Related to Which Universities have the best graduate programs for theoretical physics?

1. What universities are known for having top graduate programs in theoretical physics?

Some of the top universities for theoretical physics include MIT, Caltech, Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford.

2. How do universities determine the quality of their graduate programs in theoretical physics?

Universities typically use criteria such as research output, faculty expertise, funding opportunities, and graduate student success rates to determine the quality of their programs.

3. Are there any specific rankings for graduate programs in theoretical physics?

Yes, there are various rankings that evaluate graduate programs in theoretical physics, such as the U.S. News & World Report, Shanghai Ranking, and QS World University Rankings.

4. Do universities offer specialized areas of study within their theoretical physics graduate programs?

Yes, many universities offer specialized areas of study within theoretical physics, such as astrophysics, particle physics, and quantum mechanics.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in theoretical physics if I do not have a background in physics?

It is possible to pursue a graduate degree in theoretical physics without a background in physics, but it may require additional coursework and preparation. It is important to check the specific requirements of each university's program before applying.