Why am I getting a fatal error in MCNP with xsdir missing cross-section tables?

• Thread starter DanatAMFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error Mcnp
In summary, the conversation is about a fatal error that occurs when trying to use cross-section tables in MCNP. The error message indicates that there are missing cross-section tables and the program cannot continue without them. The solution suggested is to create a link to a custom x-section directory, which is identical to the xsdir file created during the MCNP installation, but with different library names. However, even when using the default xsdir file, the error persists. The possible issue could be with the DATAPATH and PATH variables, which are set to the correct locations in the .bashrc and .bash_profile files. The version of MCNP being used is 1.60.
DanatAMFL
fatal error. *** cross-section tables are missing from xsdir
10001.70m
10002.70m
10003.70m
bad trouble in subroutine ixsdir of imcn
cannot continue with missing cross-section table(s).

is the message I am getting. I have created a link using

ln -s /file/path/to/LANL/MCNP_DATA/mycustomxsectiondirectory xsdir

to direct MCNP to my custom x-section directory when it is looking for xsdir. The custom directory is identical to the xsdir file created during the mcnp install, aside from the names of the libraries. The custom libraries that are listed in the directory are in the same folder with the rest of the libraries from MCNP. My DATAPATH and PATH variables are set to the correct locations in both my .bashrc and .bash_profile files.(DATAPATH is set to the /LANL/MCNP_DATA folder and path is set to the /MCNP5/bin folder) I tried using the default xsdir file to see if it was an issue with my custom directory, and it gave me the same error. I'm not sure why it is giving me this error. It is MCNP5 ver. 1.60. Thanks for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any solutions?

regards.

Related to Why am I getting a fatal error in MCNP with xsdir missing cross-section tables?

1. What is MCNP?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles and radiation through materials.

2. What does the "fatal error with xsdir" mean?

The "fatal error with xsdir" message indicates that there is an issue with the cross-section directory (xsdir) file, which is used to store information about the materials and their properties in the simulation.

3. How can I fix the MCNP fatal error with xsdir?

To fix this error, you will need to check the xsdir file for any missing or incorrect information. Make sure all materials used in the simulation are listed in the file and that their properties are correctly defined. You may also need to adjust the file path or permissions for the xsdir file.

4. Can I prevent the MCNP fatal error with xsdir?

Yes, you can prevent this error by regularly checking and updating the xsdir file as needed. It is also helpful to keep a backup of the file in case it becomes corrupted or accidentally deleted.

5. Are there any resources available to help with troubleshooting the MCNP fatal error with xsdir?

Yes, there are several online forums and user groups dedicated to discussing and troubleshooting issues with MCNP. The official MCNP website also has a support section with resources and contact information for technical assistance.