Why Are Rogue Waves No Longer Just Ocean Tales?

In summary, a new member named Rogue Wave has joined and greeted everyone in the community. They are known for their expertise in summarizing content and will likely contribute valuable summaries to discussions.
Rogue Wave
I selected the Name "Rogue Wave" because I do a lot of boating. Rogue Waves have recently been accepted into the scientific community as a fact of nature. For centuries sailors and captains have spoken of them but, was considered to be "Tales of the Oceans". Science does move at a very slow rate of acceptance at times. I am in the Coast Guard Aux.
I know a very small bits of Physics, and now going to make the big dive into the relationship of water flow on a hulls, propulsion, and propeller design on downeast boats. I will be using "Trident" from Open ROV as visual observation platform to obtain real time data.

[mod note: minor advertising removed ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rogue Wave.
salutenvers.gif
⛵⛵⛵

Welcome to PF. :smile:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/holly-1756-gif.110502/

Rogue Wave said:
I selected the Name "Rogue Wave" because I do a lot of boating. Rogue Waves have recently been accepted into the scientific community as a fact of nature. For centuries sailors and captains have spoken of them but, was considered to be "Tales of the Oceans". Science does move at a very slow rate of acceptance at times. I am in the Coast Guard Aux.

Hi Rogue,
Great handle! Resonates with me, because I met a rogue wave once in late winter in the North Atlantic. I was just one of the few passengers aboard, and was standing on the prow of a freighter headed from the US to Europe. Thought it was a fog bank we were entering, watched way too long, and then suddenly realized it couldn't possibly be coming that fast, and now didn't dare climb down to the lower part of the deck to run past the three large cargo hatches which separated the high prow from the main upper structure.

The lower part of the deck would be totally awash with nothing to hold on to in mere seconds, so I quick turned and wrapped both legs and arms tight as I could around the a back facing part of a giant anchor, and managed to hold on while untold tons of water poured over the ship.

It passed, I was freezing, then looked ahead and realized with a sinking feeling, that it was only one of a train of 3 waves, the next one not that far out. Guessed/hoped there was now time enough jump down and run to get back inside. Fortunate not to slip on water still washing away, just managed to beat the second one to the heavy sea door which I opened and slammed shut.

Went up to the bridge to ask about what could have caused that, hanging on to railings as the ship dipped, bobbed and shuddered from the third and final wave. But a dripping wet passenger wasn't as interesting to the captain and a couple of crew as carefully examining the forward window. Later the captain told me that only one other time in 40 years on ships had he encountered such a wave, and that time it had actually cracked the 7 inch thick glass (but didn't break it out). My estimate is that the middle wave was 50 to 100 feet high from trough to crest. Years later I saw the movie Perfect Storm. Hah, been there, done that!
A.H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't do much boating, but I used to do a lot of diving. I experienced a much larger than usual wave that crashed myself and several of my buddies up onto the rocks as we tried to exit after an abalone dive on the North Coast of California. That was a very dicey exit after we got our wits back.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Rogue Wave said:
I am in the Coast Guard Aux.
BTW, thanks for your service. Which coast/gulf?