Why Did a Retired Physicist Join Physics Forums?

• Thread starter Bob who knows a bit
  • Start date
In summary, new member introductions are a common practice in online communities and forums where users can introduce themselves to the community. These introductions are a way for new members to share a bit about themselves and their interests, and to get to know other members of the community. While some new members may become very active and engage in discussions and activities, others may not be as active and may primarily lurk or observe the community. Overall, new member introductions help foster a sense of community and connection among members.
Bob who knows a bit
I'm retired . . . never really used my M.S. in Physics. My minor was computer science and the most I did with that was work for McDonnell Douglas on the computer controlled test set for the cruse missile. We worked in FORTRAN - yes, I'm that old. I was born before the U. S. A. went to fight in WWII. I must admit that since I retired several decades ago, most of that knowledge has faded from non-use. Now, if I have a physics or computer question, I use Google Search instead of getting out my old textbooks.

So why did I "sign up" for Physics Forums? One of my hobbies is giving presentations and participating in panels at the annual science fiction convention that is held at a complex that is walking distance from my home. I have a JPG (attached) that I've used before in a few of my talks and did a Google Search looking for an update.

meteroid impacts moon info video.jpg

That search led me to https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-explains-the-luna-impact-gap.965211/

I had to post a reply . . . "use Occam's Razor". The significant central gap and cutoff of impacts at specific north and south latitudes is an artifact of the observing process.

I expect to receive email notices from Physics Forums when there are replies to this posting and the "gap" posting . . . looking forward to it, actually.

"Bob who knows a bit"

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Bob! :smile:

Welcome to PF. We're glad to have you.

You can watch a thread by clicking WATCH or by posting a reply in the thread. (Not a reply in your New Member Introduction above). If you click WATCH, it asks if you want email notifications. If you post a reply, the default behavior is found under PREFERENCES under MY PF as shown in the screen shot below.

1568927971361.png

Attachments

• 1568927949345.png
    1568927949345.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 21
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Bob! :smile:
Well, thanks. We'll do what we can.

@Bob who knows a bit . Welcome. Don't be shy there are a number of us who are around your age. You will be surprised what comes back when you engage in discussions and better yet there is a lot to learn too.

Likes berkeman