Why Do Lines 3 and 4 Equate in Random Walk Probability Calculations?

In summary: It looks like they are just substituting k = 1 into line 4, based on the premise that the relationship holds for k >= 1.As for an explanation, it looks like a simple random walk with independent increments, but from the page you cited, it appears that they are not necessarily independent which is a more general assumption than the simple random walk models. (When each incremental random variable is independent, this simplifies things somewhat)
tanzl
Suppose X is a random walk with probability
[itex]P(X_k=+1)=p [/itex] and [itex]P(X_k=-1)=q=1-p [/itex]
and [itex]S_n=X_1+X_2+...+X_n [/itex]

Can anyone explain why does line 3 equal to line 4?
[itex]P(S_k-S_0≠0 ,S_k-S_1≠0 ,…,S_k-S_{k-1}≠0)[/itex]
[itex]=P(X_k+X_{k-1}+⋯+X_1≠0 ,X_k+X_{k-1}+⋯+X_2≠0 ,…,X_k≠0)[/itex]
[itex]=P( X_k≠0 ,X_k+X_{k-1}≠0 ,…,X_k+X_{k-1}+⋯+X_1≠0 )[/itex]...Line 3
[itex]=P( X_1≠0 ,X_2+X_1≠0 ,…,X_k+X_{k-1}+⋯+X_1≠0 )[/itex].....Line 4
[itex]=P( X_1≠0 ,X_1+X_2≠0 ,…,X_1+X_2+⋯+X_k≠0 )[/itex]

The above comes from a book on random walk, I attached a link here (page 36),
http://books.google.com/books?id=7suiLOKqeYQC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because your Xi's are all i.i.d.. That means you can always interchange them however you like, since they each have the same distribution.

Hey tanzl.

It looks like they are just substituting k = 1 into line 4, based on the premise that the relationship holds for k >= 1.

As for an explanation, it looks like a simple random walk with independent increments, but from the page you cited, it appears that they are not necessarily independent which is a more general assumption than the simple random walk models.

(When each incremental random variable is independent, this simplifies things somewhat)

Thanks for the replies.
alexfloo said:
It's because your Xi's are all i.i.d.. That means you can always interchange them however you like, since they each have the same distribution.

Hi Alexfloo, in what way do you mean X can interchange? I do know that X are iid, but I don't see how this property can help when line 3 is adding more terms in reverse time order and line 4 is adding more terms in increasing time order.
chiro said:
Hey tanzl.

It looks like they are just substituting k = 1 into line 4, based on the premise that the relationship holds for k >= 1.

As for an explanation, it looks like a simple random walk with independent increments, but from the page you cited, it appears that they are not necessarily independent which is a more general assumption than the simple random walk models.

(When each incremental random variable is independent, this simplifies things somewhat)

Hi Chiro, I don't think it is just simply substituting k=1 into line 3, it does not hold for k>1.
From my understanding, X is independent incremental random variable, I am not sure about S. But S has Markovian property.

BTW, I have read in a research paper on this problem. The proof in the paper only stated that it uses symmetry and independence property without further clarification. I am not really sure what does symmetry property refer to.

for your question! I can explain why lines 3 and 4 are equal in this context. First, let's review the definition of a random walk. A random walk is a mathematical model that describes the movement of a "walker" on a number line. At each step, the walker moves either to the left or right with a certain probability. In this case, the walker has a probability of p to move to the right and a probability of q (1-p) to move to the left.

Now, let's look at the expression in line 3: P(S_k-S_0≠0 ,S_k-S_1≠0 ,…,S_k-S_{k-1}≠0). This is the probability that the walker is not at the starting point (S_0) and has not passed through any of the previous points (S_1, S_2, ..., S_{k-1}) up to the kth step. This can also be written as P(X_k+X_{k-1}+⋯+X_1≠0 ,X_k+X_{k-1}+⋯+X_2≠0 ,…,X_k≠0) because S_n=X_1+X_2+...+X_n.

Now, let's look at the expression in line 4: P(X_1≠0 ,X_2+X_1≠0 ,…,X_k+X_{k-1}+⋯+X_1≠0). This is the probability that the walker's first step (X_1) is not at the starting point (S_0), the second step (X_2) is not at the first point (S_1), and so on up to the kth step (X_k) not being at any of the previous points (S_1, S_2, ..., S_{k-1}). This is equivalent to the previous expression because the walker is still not at any of the previous points and has not returned to the starting point.

In summary, lines 3 and 4 are equal because they both represent the probability that the walker has not passed through any of the previous points up to the kth step. This is a fundamental property of random walks and is why the expressions are interchangeable. I hope this helps to clarify the

Related to Why Do Lines 3 and 4 Equate in Random Walk Probability Calculations?

1. What is a Markov Chain?

A Markov Chain is a mathematical concept used to model random processes or systems. It is a sequence of events where the probability of each event depends only on the previous event, not the entire history of events. It is often used in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and computer science to analyze and predict the behavior of systems that involve randomness.

2. What is a Random Walk in the context of Markov Chains?

A Random Walk is a type of Markov Chain where the movement of an object or particle is determined by a series of random steps. Each step is taken based on a set of probabilities, and the direction of the walk can change at each step. Random walks can be used to model physical phenomena such as diffusion, as well as financial markets and other real-world systems.

3. How is a Markov Chain different from other statistical models?

A Markov Chain is different from other statistical models in that it relies on the concept of "memorylessness." This means that the probability of an event occurring at a given time only depends on the previous event, not any events before it. Other statistical models may take into account the entire history of events or other external factors, whereas a Markov Chain only considers the immediate past.

4. What are some real-world applications of Markov Chains?

Markov Chains have a wide range of applications in various fields. Some examples include predicting stock prices, analyzing the flow of traffic, simulating the spread of diseases, and generating text through natural language processing. They are also commonly used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.

5. Can Markov Chains be used for time series data?

Yes, Markov Chains can be used for time series data. Time series data is a sequence of data points collected at regular intervals over time, and a Markov Chain can be used to model the behavior of this data. However, it is important to note that the assumption of "memorylessness" may not always hold true for time series data, so other statistical models may be more appropriate in certain cases.