Why Does CFL Lighting Cause a Violet Line in Laundry Detergent?

• I
  • Thread starter JFS321
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of a violet line at the top of laundry detergent when exposed to a CFL bulb. The question is raised as to why this only occurs with CFL bulbs and not sunlight. It is proposed that this is due to the emission of UV light from the CFL, which activates the optical brighteners in the detergent. The conversation also mentions research that shows CFLs emit more UV light compared to standard fluorescent tubes. Another potential explanation for the violet line is refraction at the liquid/air interface.
JFS321
All, I'm looking for a little hypothesis help here. I know that most detergents these days contain optical brighteners--they absorb UV and re-emit visible light the blue violet region. I noticed, though, that looking at my laundry detergent under a CFL bulb produces this rather neat violet line at the top of the detergent.
image.jpg

So, I'm wondering why this is the case. Holding the detergent in front of a sunny window does not produce the violet line, but turning on a CFL above the sunny window does. I haven't been able to see if the line is produced by LEDs or incandescent bulbs yet. My guess is that CFLs could not possibly be emitting enough UV to cause this to fluoresce at the top, but CFLs must emit light at wavelengths that the optical brighteners are absorbing and re-emitting...so there must be some overlap between the UV and visible range that the optical brighteners can absorb.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Glass absorbs UV light fairly well, so that would explain why you don't see the fluorescence with sunlight filtered through the window. UV emission from the CFL could be responsible:

Fluorescent lamps, large and compact, work by using electricity to excite mercury vapor inside the bulb. The excited vapor then emits invisible ultraviolet light that is absorbed by the bulb's phosphor coating. In turn, the coating re-emits the energy as visible light.

But researchers found UV light leaks more from CFLs compared to standard fluorescent tubes because the small diameter of the glass coupled with its twists and turns creates more spaces where the phosphor coating chips away, letting more UV light escape.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-compact-fluorescent-lightbulbs-damage-skin/

The violet line could also be due to refraction at the liquid/air interface.

Related to Why Does CFL Lighting Cause a Violet Line in Laundry Detergent?

What is the purpose of studying glowing detergents?

The purpose of studying glowing detergents is to understand how they work and potentially develop more effective and environmentally friendly cleaning products.

What is the hypothesis being tested in this study?

The hypothesis being tested is that adding a glowing substance to detergent will make it more effective at removing stains and dirt.

How will the glowing detergents be tested?

The glowing detergents will be tested by comparing their effectiveness at removing stains and dirt to regular detergents in controlled experiments.

What are some potential benefits of using glowing detergents?

Some potential benefits of using glowing detergents include easier stain removal, reduced use of harsh chemicals, and improved sustainability.

What are some potential limitations of this study?

Some potential limitations of this study include variations in stain types and fabrics, potential biases in the experimenters, and the possibility that the glowing substance itself may cause damage to fabrics.