Why does quantum entanglement work?

In summary, the behavior of entangled systems is characterized by conservation, covariance, and correlation due to the intertwining of particles with opposite spin. The cause of this behavior is the coherence and proper phase alignment between different polarization modes, as seen in the comparison between polarization entangled photons and photon pairs in a product state.
kakarot1905
I understand how entangled systems behave [Roughly], but what causes them to do so?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is safe to say that nobody knows the answer with certainty.

Demystifier said:
I think it is safe to say that nobody knows the answer with certainty.

Certainty less than hbar. :biggrin:

kakarot1905 said:
I understand how entangled systems behave [Roughly], but what causes them to do so?

3Cs:
conservation, covariance, correlation

because 1√-1. (positive spinlet up= negative spinlet down) therefore, everything becomes intertwined. kind of like gears.

kakarot1905 said:

maybe from the point of view of the entangled particles.. there is no space?

kakarot1905 said:
Compared to what? You have to have baseline to speak about cause.
Say if we take polarization entangled photons and compare them with photon pairs in product state then the cause is coherence and right phase between different polarization modes for interference to happen.

Related to Why does quantum entanglement work?

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two particles interact and become entangled, meaning their quantum states become correlated. This correlation remains even when the particles are separated, and any change in one particle's state will affect the other particle's state instantaneously, regardless of the distance between them.

3. What are the practical applications of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has a variety of potential applications, including quantum teleportation, quantum computing, and secure communication. It also plays a crucial role in exploring the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and understanding the nature of reality.

4. Can we use quantum entanglement for faster-than-light communication?

No, quantum entanglement does not allow for faster-than-light communication. While it may seem like information is being transmitted instantaneously, it is actually due to the instantaneous correlation between the entangled particles, and no information can be sent through this process.

5. How does quantum entanglement challenge our understanding of physics?

Quantum entanglement challenges our understanding of physics because it violates the principles of classical physics, which state that information or influences cannot travel faster-than-light. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the interconnectedness of the universe.