Why Doesn't Nitric Acid React with Copper Oxide?

In summary, nitric acid will not react with copper oxide, but it will react with copper. This was observed during a lab where a brown gas formed when nitric acid was added to copper metal. Further research shows that copper oxide does in fact react with nitric acid, forming a salt. This may be confusing, but it is the result of a chemical reaction between the two substances.
Revengeance
Why is it that nitric acid won't react with copper oxide, but it will react with copper?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why do you think? What reaction do you think will happen?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you think? What reaction do you think will happen?
I tried it during a lab, and nothing had happened so i am not sure, but when i added nitric acid to copper metal a brown gas had formed, and i am wondering why nitric acid reacts with copper but not copper oxide, and the only conclusion i am at, is that copper oxide does not react with nitric acid, but after searching online i found that they do to form a salt.. CuO + 2 HNO3 → Cu(NO3)2 + H2O. So i am pretty confused.

Related to Why Doesn't Nitric Acid React with Copper Oxide?

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between nitric acid and copper oxide?

The chemical equation for this reaction is:
Nitric acid (HNO3) + Copper oxide (CuO) → Copper nitrate (Cu(NO3)2) + Water (H2O)

2. What type of reaction is occurring between nitric acid and copper oxide?

This reaction is a double displacement reaction, also known as a metathesis reaction. The nitrate ion (NO3-) and hydroxide ion (OH-) switch places to form two new compounds.

3. What is the color change observed during the reaction between nitric acid and copper oxide?

The reaction between nitric acid and copper oxide results in a greenish-blue color due to the formation of copper nitrate.

4. What are the physical properties of nitric acid and copper oxide?

Nitric acid is a clear, colorless liquid with a pungent odor. It is highly corrosive and can cause burns on contact with skin. Copper oxide is a black, powdery solid with a high melting point. It is insoluble in water and has low reactivity.

5. What are the common uses of nitric acid and copper oxide?

Nitric acid is commonly used in the production of fertilizers, explosives, and dyes. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as etching and cleaning metals. Copper oxide is used as a pigment in ceramics and as a catalyst in chemical reactions. It is also used in the production of batteries and electronics.