Why Gravitational Waves are Decomposed in Spin Weighted Spherical Harmonics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spin weighted spherical harmonics in the analysis of gravitational waves. The original poster is curious about the reason for this specific decomposition and whether there are other decompositions that can be used. The conversation also touches on the advantages of using spherical harmonics for analysis and asks for a reference for further reading.
Skhaaan
Hi All,

Can someone tell me why gravitational waves are always decomposed in spin weighted spherical harmonics with spin weight -2 ?

I'm assuming you can hand wave the answer with something to do with the 'graviton' being a spin 2 particle but this isn't very satisfying to me.

Are there any other decompositions? Why not just regular spherical harmonics?

On a more basic level, why is it advantageous to decompose anything into spherical harmonics?
Is it just another analysis you can perform to get more insight into the physics such as what 'poles' there are.
i.e. mono, di, quad, etc...
Or is it also supposed to simplify the algebra too?

Many thanks in advance!

Sebastian

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you gave a reference to what you are referring to. At least in classical treatments of gravitational waves, most sources I've read simply do not do what you describe at all. For example:

http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2011-1/

makes no mention of the decomposition you refer to.

I'm suspecting there is a particular reference you are reading that raised questions. In such case, you should always provide such a reference so people can look at what you are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for the reply and advice.

Sorry I didn't supply a reference, I didn't realize
that this decomposition was not more common.
It is very common in Gravitational Wave analysis.

This link gives a definition of the spin weighted spherical harmonics
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0511111

I worked with this decomposition a lot but never understood the reason
for performing this decomposition. So then I wanted to ask
what is the reason for performing spherical harmonic decomposition
in general.

Maybe I will post again and ask the more general question on spherical harmonic decomposition

Thanks

Related to Why Gravitational Waves are Decomposed in Spin Weighted Spherical Harmonics

1. What are spin-weighted spherical harmonics?

Spin-weighted spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions used to describe the behavior of physical fields in curved spacetime. They are solutions to the spin-weighted spherical harmonic equation, which takes into account the effects of both the spin and the curvature of space.

2. How are spin-weighted spherical harmonics related to gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime caused by the acceleration of massive objects. When describing the behavior of gravitational waves, it is useful to use spin-weighted spherical harmonics to decompose the waves into different components based on their spin.

3. Why is it important to decompose gravitational waves in spin-weighted spherical harmonics?

Decomposing gravitational waves in spin-weighted spherical harmonics allows us to better understand the nature of the waves and their effects on spacetime. It also allows us to extract specific information about the source of the waves, such as the mass and spin of the objects that caused them.

4. Are there other methods for decomposing gravitational waves?

Yes, there are other methods for decomposing gravitational waves, such as using wavelets or Fourier transforms. However, spin-weighted spherical harmonics are particularly useful because they take into account both the spin and the curvature of spacetime, providing a more complete description of the waves.

5. How do spin-weighted spherical harmonics help us understand the properties of gravitational waves?

By decomposing gravitational waves in spin-weighted spherical harmonics, we can analyze their different components and determine properties such as their polarization and direction of propagation. This information can help us learn more about the source of the waves and the nature of gravity itself.