Why is ##^{2m}C_m## equivalent to ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##?

RChristenk
Homework Statement
Why is ##^{2m}C_m## equivalent to ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##?
Relevant Equations
Elementary combination principles
By definition, ##^nC_r=\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+1)}{r!}##. This can be simplified to ##^nC_r=\dfrac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}##, which leads to ##^{2m}C_m=\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##.

But I can't see how from the original equation ##^{2m}C_m=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)}{m!}## is equivalent to ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? Your formula is incorrect. It has to be ##(2m)!## and not ##2m!##
\begin{align*}
^{2m}C_m&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)}{m!}\\&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)\cdot m}{m!\cdot m}\\
&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)\cdot m\cdot (m-1)}{m!\cdot m\cdot (m-1)}\\
&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-2)}{m!\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-2)}\\
&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-3)\cdot (m-3)}{m!\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-3)\cdot (m-3)}\\
&\vdots \\
&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-3)\cdot (m-3)\cdots 2\cdot 1}{m!\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-3)\cdot (m-3)\cdots 2\cdot 1}\\
&=\dfrac{(2m)!}{m!m!}
\end{align*}

fresh_42 said:
What do you mean? Your formula is incorrect. It has to be (2m)! and not 2m!
I'm pretty sure that (2m)! is what this poster meant, but wrote incorrectly as 2m!.
RChristenk said:
By definition, ##^nC_r=\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+1)}{r!}##. This can be simplified to ##^nC_r=\dfrac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}##, which leads to ##^{2m}C_m=\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##.

But I can't see how from the original equation ##^{2m}C_m=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)}{m!}## is equivalent to ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##.
Multiply numerator and denominator by m!.

fresh_42 said:
What do you mean? Your formula is incorrect. It has to be ##(2m)!## and not ##2m!##
\begin{align*}
^{2m}C_m&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)}{m!}\\&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)\cdot m}{m!\cdot m}\\
&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)\cdot m\cdot (m-1)}{m!\cdot m\cdot (m-1)}\\
&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-2)}{m!\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-2)}\\
&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-3)\cdot (m-3)}{m!\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-3)\cdot (m-3)}\\
&\vdots \\
&=\dfrac{(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)...(m+1)\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-3)\cdot (m-3)\cdots 2\cdot 1}{m!\cdot m\cdot (m-1)\cdot (m-3)\cdot (m-3)\cdots 2\cdot 1}\\
&=\dfrac{(2m)!}{m!m!}
\end{align*}
Yes you are correct I should've wrote ##(2m)!##. Thanks for your answer!

RChristenk said:
Yes you are correct I should've wrote ##(2m)!##. Thanks for your answer!
You should've written!

martinbn said:
You should've written!
I'm sorry I didn't write ##(2m)!##. I will in the future do my earnest to double-check my work in the future. Please don't take offense at my negligence.

RChristenk said:
I'm sorry I didn't write ##(2m)!##. I will in the future do my earnest to double-check my work in the future. Please don't take offense at my negligence.
You misuderstood. I was pedantic about "I should've wrote".

• Haha
Likes e_jane and SammyS

Related to Why is ##^{2m}C_m## equivalent to ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##?

1. Why is ##^{2m}C_m## equivalent to ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##?

##^{2m}C_m## represents the number of ways to choose m objects out of 2m objects. This can be calculated using the formula ##^{2m}C_m = \dfrac{(2m)!}{m!(2m-m)!} = \dfrac{(2m)!}{m!m!}##.

2. How is the factorial formula used to simplify ##^{2m}C_m## to ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##?

The factorial formula states that ##n! = n \times (n-1) \times (n-2) \times ... \times 2 \times 1##. By applying this formula to both the numerator and denominator of ##^{2m}C_m##, we can simplify it to ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##.

3. What is the significance of the expression ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}## in combinatorics?

The expression ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}## represents the number of ways to choose m objects out of 2m objects, which is a common problem in combinatorics. It is used to calculate combinations and probabilities in various mathematical and scientific fields.

4. Can you provide an example to illustrate why ##^{2m}C_m## is equal to ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##?

Sure! Let's say we have 4 red balls and 2 blue balls. The number of ways to choose 2 balls out of these 6 balls is given by ##^{6}C_2##. Using the formula, we get ##^{6}C_2 = \dfrac{6!}{2!4!} = \dfrac{720}{2 \times 24} = 15##. This illustrates why ##^{2m}C_m## is equivalent to ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##.

5. How does the concept of combinations relate to the expression ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}##?

The concept of combinations involves selecting a subset of objects without regard to the order in which they are chosen. The expression ##\dfrac{2m!}{m!m!}## encapsulates this idea by calculating the number of ways to choose m objects out of 2m objects, regardless of their arrangement. It is a fundamental concept in combinator