Why is Latex White on Black? Tips to Fix Unreadable Text

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter HallsofIvy
  • Start date
In summary, Latex is a document preparation system that uses white text on a black background as the default color scheme for maximum contrast and readability. However, users can change the color scheme by using specific commands. If the text is unreadable, it could be due to the color scheme or incorrect font settings. To fix this, users can adjust the color scheme, font size and type, and use the <code>\usepackage{microtype}</code> command to improve spacing and layout. Images and graphics can also be used without affecting the readability of the text by adjusting their placement and size with the <code>\includegraphics</code> command.
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Why am I seeing Latex coming out white on a black background?

I find it impossible to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uhh... I just changed the LaTeX generation backend to make the images look better. What browser and operating system are you using? The images look fine in IE7 and FF3 and Chrome.

- Warren

testing:

[tex]E = mc^2[/tex]

Looks fine to me. Windows Vista and IE7.

Okay, I didn't realize it but I was still using Internet Explorer 6! I have downloaded IE 8 and don't have a problem any more. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why is Latex White on Black? Tips to Fix Unreadable Text

1. Why is Latex white on black?

Latex is a document preparation system that uses a high-quality typesetting system to create professional-looking documents. The default color scheme for Latex is white text on a black background, as this provides maximum contrast and readability for the reader.

2. Can I change the color scheme in Latex?

Yes, you can change the color scheme in Latex by using the \usepackage{xcolor} command and then specifying a different color scheme with the \pagecolor and \color commands.

3. Why is my text unreadable in Latex?

If your text is unreadable in Latex, it could be due to a few reasons. One common reason is that the default color scheme of white on black may not be suitable for your document, especially if you have a lot of text. Another reason could be that you have not specified the font size or font type correctly, making the text too small or too large to read comfortably.

4. How can I fix unreadable text in Latex?

To fix unreadable text in Latex, you can try changing the color scheme to something that provides better contrast and readability. You can also adjust the font size and type to make the text easier to read. Additionally, using the \usepackage{microtype} command can help improve the spacing and layout of your document, making it more readable.

5. Can I use images or graphics in Latex without affecting the readability of my text?

Yes, you can use images or graphics in Latex without affecting the readability of your text. You can use the \includegraphics command to insert images into your document, and you can also adjust the placement and size of the images to ensure they do not interfere with the readability of your text.