Why Is My Calculated Centripetal Acceleration So High?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a car going around a circle, with the radius of 25 meters and a velocity of 35 m/s. The mass and weight of the car are also mentioned. The formula for centripedal acceleration is used, but the wrong formula is initially used resulting in a large answer. After correcting the formula, the correct acceleration of 49m/s^2 is found. The conversation then discusses the units for force, which is measured in Newtons.
Onjikaruto

Homework Statement

I am currently working a project that involves a car going around a circle. Right now, i am just simplifying it down to just the car and the circle (not including anything about the friction between the tires, or any other forces.) So it should be fairly straightfoward, but i don't understand why i am getting a rediculously large answer...

The Circle's radius is 25meters. At a given instance the car is traveling around the circle on the outmost side (25 meters) at a velocity of 35 m/s. The mass of the car is 1134kg, the weight is 2500lbs.

Homework Equations

i just used Centripedal Acceleration= Mass * Velocity Squared over
Radius Squared

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is i keep getting 5556.6 as my acceleration. Thats seems wayyyy to large for an answer. Am i missing something?
Thanks
Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the wrong formula, that's why. What is the formula for centripedal acceleration? (If you're wondering, you gave the centripedal force) Check your answer after you use the correct formula, thanks.

I thought centripedal acceleration is related in the same direction as the centripedal force. I am very unclear about this...

Calculate the physical dimension of your quantity. Is it the physical dimension of acceleration, for example m/s^2?

O_O the equation for centripal acceleration is Velcoity squared over radius...

How then does centripedal force relate to the car? which direction, and why is it soo large?

So large as what?

alright... i got the acceleration... its 49m/s^2

Now my question is, if i have a centripital force of 5556.6, what units should that be in... Newtons?
thanks
Andrew

What units does Newtons correspond to in the SI system?

Force is measured in a specific unit. Check the units that you used to come up with the force.

Related to Why Is My Calculated Centripetal Acceleration So High?

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the rate of change of velocity of an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is perpendicular to the object's velocity.

How is centripetal acceleration related to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the centripetal force acting on an object. This means that as the force increases, so does the acceleration.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2 / r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration cannot be negative. It is always directed towards the center of the circle, so it is always a positive value.

How is centripetal acceleration different from tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of the circle. They are perpendicular to each other and together make up the total acceleration of an object moving in a circular path.