Why is NTM Time Complexity Guessing Polynomial?

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a non-deterministic Turing machine (NTM) and its relationship to the depth of its configuration tree. The highlighted example shows that choosing a specific list of nodes costs polynomial time, but there is concern about the number of configurations to check. It is explained that because the NTM can branch to any finite number of configurations, there is no overhead and the time-complexity is not exponential. This is also attributed to the possibility of "luckily" choosing a configuration that leads to acceptance.
CGandC
Homework Statement
Not homework but something I don't understand: Why is the time-complexity of ## N_1 ## below not exponential due to the overhead of going over all possible configurations?
Relevant Equations
NTM = nondeterministic Turing machine

Running time of a nondeterministic Turing machine that is a decider is the depth of its configuration tree ( the length of the longest branch in the tree ).
1688116665509.png

( Source: Introduction to the theory of computation, Michael Sipser, 3rd edition )

I know the computation of a non-deterministic Turing machine ( NTM ) which is a decider is defined to be the depth of its configuration tree.

In the above example of showing that ## HAMPATH \in NP ##, where it's highlighted in red - I understand that choosing a specific list of nodes costs polynomial time which is the depth of the configuration tree. However, we seem to be choosing every possible option for a list of ## m ## vertices, thus, we have at least ## O(m^m) ## configurations to check, so why is the running time of ## N_1 ## polynomial? shouldn't it be exponential?

Physics news on Phys.org
CGandC said:
Why is the time-complexity of ## N_1 ## below not[corrected] exponential due to the overhead of going over all possible configurations?
Because it is an NTM: there is no overhead in branching to any finite number of configurations. Alternatively we can imagine that it can "luckily" choose any configuration that leads to acceptance.

Likes CGandC
I understand now, thanks.

Likes pbuk, berkeman and jim mcnamara