Why is the growth of exps & logs so fast & slow, respectively?

• B
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: I think you meant "big P...the largest positive real number that can be written as the product of finite, nonnegative terms".Yes, I meant "big O".
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I don't understand the theorem that proves the question of the thread's title.
Hi, PF, there goes the theorem, questions, and attempt
THEOREM 4 If ##x>0##, then ##\ln x\leq{x-1}##
PROOF Let ##g(x)=\ln x-(x-1)## for ##x>0##. Then ##g(1)=0## and

##g'(x)=\displaystyle\frac{1}{x}-1\quad\begin{cases}>0&\mbox{if}\,0<x<1\\
<0&\mbox{if}\,x>1\end{cases}## (...). Thus, ##g(x)\leq{g(1)=0}##, ## \forall {x>0}## and ##\ln x\leq{x-1}## for all such ##x##

Question: The proof, why implies the quick growth of ##e^x## and the steady growing of ##\ln x##?

Attempt: ##g## grows in ##x\in{(0,1)}## and decreases in ##x\in{(1,\infty)}## (##g'(x)>0\,\forall{(0<x<1)}## and ##g'(x)<0\,\forall{(1<x<\infty)}##

Greetings!

Logaritmo neperiano.jpg

I will post without preview, apologizes. If it makes no sense, I will repeat promptly

Physics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
Question: The proof, why implies the quick growth of ##e^x## and the steady growing of ##\ln x##?
Let us take the latter question first: "How does the proof imply the steady growth of ##\ln x##?

What do you even mean by the "steady growth" of ##\ln x##?

Certainly the proof examines the difference between the first derivative of ##\ln x## and the first derivative of ##x-1##. It concludes that the "growth rate" (first derivative) of ##\ln x## is less than the growth rate of ##x-1##.

By itself, this does not assure us that ##\ln x## even has a growth rate. But we can easily see that indeed, ##\ln x## is strictly monotone increasing.

I suppose that "strictly monotone increasing" with a growth rate that is always less than 1 might count as "steady growth" to you.

Personally, I'd use the adjective "steady growth" for something with a growth rate that converged on a positive constant. ##\ln x## does not qualify.We are in a position now to attack the other question: "How does the proof imply the quick growth of ##\ln x##?

That answer is shorter. It does not.

Roughly speaking, the proof of the first part puts a bound on the graph of ##\ln x##. It bounds it below a 45 degree line, the graph of ##f(x) = x-1##. The graph of ##e^x## will be the mirror image, obtained by swapping the x and y axes. The proof puts a lower bound on ##e^x## at the mirror image 45 degree line, the graph of ##f(x) = x + 1##.

There are plenty of "steadily growing" functions with such a lower bound.

Likes PeroK and scottdave
It depends on where on the x-axis whether it is increasing rapidly or slowly. I've forgotten a lot of Spanish, but I think it is asking about when x is large.

You might like to check Courant’s “Differential and Integral Calculus”, Vol. I, Rev. Ed., about the order of magnitude of functions, pp. 189.

Hi, PF, @jbriggs444, @scottdave, @apostolosdt.

jbriggs444 said:
Let us take the latter question first: "How does the proof imply the steady growth of ##\ln x##?

What do you even mean by the "steady growth" of ##\ln x##?

It's been an own's and free translation, @jbriggs444. I agree with your statement:

jbriggs444 said:
I suppose that "strictly monotone increasing" with a growth rate that is always less than 1 might count as "steady growth" to you.

This is, for all ##x## and ##y## such that ##x\leq y\rightarrow{f(x)\leq{f(y)}}##. One question: how could I get some info on growth rate?

Now, the question I do not solve is that ##e^x## increases more slowly than any positive power of ##x## (no matter how large the power), while ##\ln x## increases more slowly than any positive power of ##x## (no matter how small the power). The fact that ##g(x)\leq{g(1)=0}## for all ##x>0## and ##\ln\leq{x-1}## for all such ##x## is bounds, but not a proof of the singular growing properties of ##\ln x## and ##e^x##.

Now I think that it is all about introducing exponential growth and decay models, a few paragraphs forward.

Greetings!

mcastillo356 said:
This is, for all ##x## and ##y## such that ##x\leq y\rightarrow{f(x)\leq{f(y)}}##. One question: how could I get some info on growth rate?
The terminology I learned (in the 70's) for that attribute is "monotone increasing".

If one strengthens the inequality to ##x \lt y \rightarrow f(x) \lt f(y)## then the term is "strictly monotone increasing".

So a constant function such as ##f(x) = 1## would be "monotone increasing" but not "strictly monotone increasing". A function such as ##f(x) = x^3## would be both monotone increasing and strictly monotone increasing despite the inflection at ##x=0##.

mcastillo356 said:
Now, the question I do not solve is that ##e^x## increases more slowly than any positive power of ##x## (no matter how large the power), while ##\ln x## increases more slowly than any positive power of ##x## (no matter how small the power).
Here, you appear not to be worried about any constant multiplier or fixed offset. So, for instance, you would say that ##x^2## increases more rapidly than ##10x + 15##.

That sounds like an application for "big O notation".

Last edited:
Likes mcastillo356