Why not describing the radiatation of atom spectrum by TDSE

In summary, the radiation of an atom and its transition from a high energy state to a lower one through the emission of a photon can be described using the time-independent Schrodinger equation. However, when considering the effect of electromagnetic radiation on the system, the time-dependent Schrodinger equation must be used. This can be simplified using perturbation theory, but spontaneous emission must be handled using quantum electrodynamics. The probability of the atom transitioning to a different eigenstate can be calculated using this approach, and the resulting transition rate can be measured experimentally. The collapse of the wavefunction to a specific eigenstate is a process controlled by the time-dependent Schrodinger equation.
zhouhao
The radiation of an atom was interpreted by time-independent schrodinger equation:electron was transformed from high energy level state to lower and emit a photon.Could we treat this process through a wavefunction ##{\psi}(t)##? Before emiting,the system's wavefunction is ##{\psi}(0)## and after emiting photon,it is ##{\psi}(t_0)##.
##{\psi}(t)## is constrained by time-dependent schrodinger equation and contain all information of the system.Is there any papers incorporate photon emiting in wavefunction as well as the method to define ##{\psi}(t=0)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
zhouhao said:
The radiation of an atom was interpreted by time-independent schrodinger equation:electron was transformed from high energy level state to lower and emit a photon.
You are definitely mistaken. The formal approach to describe radiative transitions in atoms is in fact through the use time-dependent perturbation theory. When one takes EM radiation into account in the Schroedinger equation, e.g. for the purpose of deriving the transition rate, the time-dependent Schroedinger equation is inevitable. Upon employing certain approximation it's possible to reduce this problem to a perturbation treatment.
zhouhao said:
the method to define ψ(t=0){\psi}(t=0)?
You determine it yourself, depending on where you want the electron to start from before the transition. However, it's usually assumed to be one of the energy eigenstates.

Stimulated emission can be modeled with the nonrelativistic Schrödinger equation by adding an oscillating term in the potential energy to represent the EM field, as in the equation

##i\hbar\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2\mu}\nabla^2 \Psi (x,y,z,t) - \frac{e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r}\Psi (x,y,z,t) + C\sin (\omega t)x\Psi (x,y,z,t)##

but spontaneous emission must be handled with quantum electrodynamics (by using perturbation theory, too, but there it's more difficult than the nonrelativistic case).

blue_leaf77 said:
You are definitely mistaken. The formal approach to describe radiative transitions in atoms is in fact through the use time-dependent perturbation theory. When one takes EM radiation into account in the Schroedinger equation, e.g. for the purpose of deriving the transition rate, the time-dependent Schroedinger equation is inevitable. Upon employing certain approximation it's possible to reduce this problem to a perturbation treatment.

Thanks.I check my book and I am mistaken.But I am still confused.
As the book said,
##{\phi}_n## is the eigenstate of time-independent schrodinger equation with eigenvalue ##E_n##.
Adding the time-dependent perturbation ##{\hat{H}}^{'}(t)##, wave function becomes ##\Psi=\sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty}a_m(t){\phi}_m\exp{(-\frac{i}{\hbar}{E_m}t)}##,and the ##a_m(t)## was interpreted as the probability for the wave function transform from inital ##{\phi}_n\exp{(-\frac{i}{\hbar}E_nt)}## to final ##{\phi}_m\exp{(-\frac{i}{\hbar}E_mt)}##.The initial function and final function satisfied time-independent schrodinger eqution.Why not just choose the ##\Psi## as the final function?
hilbert2 said:
Stimulated emission can be modeled with the nonrelativistic Schrödinger equation by adding an oscillating term in the potential energy to represent the EM field, as in the equation

##i\hbar\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2\mu}\nabla^2 \Psi (x,y,z,t) - \frac{e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r}\Psi (x,y,z,t) + C\sin (\omega t)x\Psi (x,y,z,t)##

but spontaneous emission must be handled with quantum electrodynamics (by using perturbation theory, too, but there it's more difficult than the nonrelativistic case).

Why the oscillating term was very large far away from the system? Is it more reasonable to divide ##\sin(\omega t)## by ##x##?
With which kind of perturbation potential,we could distinguish adsorption or emission?

zhouhao said:
Why the oscillating term was very large far away from the system? Is it more reasonable to divide ##\sin(\omega t)## by ##x##? With which kind of perturbation potential,we could distinguish adsorption or emission?

A potential energy that grows in linear proportion to ##x## means that there's a constant force towards negative ##x##-direction everywhere. This is a reasonable approximation if the beam of light (which causes the transitions), as well as its wavelength, are much larger than a single atom.

In solving the spontaneous emission problem the whole system is different and can contain an undetermined number of photons besides the emitting/absorbing atom or molecule.

Last edited:
zhouhao said:
Why not just choose the Ψ\Psi as the final function?
One usually is interested in finding out the probability of the atom being found in some other eigenstate different from the initial one after the transition because this is directly related to the transition rate between the initial state and the final one. The transition rate is a quantity that can be fairly easily measured in experiments.

blue_leaf77 said:
One usually is interested in finding out the probability of the atom being found in some other eigenstate different from the initial one after the transition because this is directly related to the transition rate between the initial state and the final one. The transition rate is a quantity that can be fairly easily measured in experiments.

Thanks!
I means with the perturbation added, the atom in ##{\phi}_n## with time evolving to be fould in ##\Psi=\sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty}a_m(t){\phi}_m\exp{(-\frac{i}{\hbar}{E_m}t)}##,this is a mixture of many eigenstates.However,as the book said,the atom would be found at another eigenstate in the end.The mixture of many eigenstates seems "collapsing" to an eigenstate,I know this word--collapsing,but I think the "collapsing" must be a process control by time-dependent schrodinger eqution.

This is my reason :
If we in momentum representation,atom state "collapsing" to an eigenstate function ,which may be a different function with the eigenstate function in position representation.The final wavefunction collapse to positon eigenstate or momentum eigenstate seems not right.

Last edited:

Related to Why not describing the radiatation of atom spectrum by TDSE

1. Why is TDSE not used to describe the radiation of atom spectra?

TDSE (Time-Dependent Schrödinger Equation) is a mathematical equation used to describe the quantum mechanical behavior of a system. While it can be used to accurately predict the energy levels and transitions of atoms, it does not provide a direct description of the radiation emitted by an atom. Instead, it focuses on the wavefunction of the system and how it evolves over time.

2. How does TDSE differ from other methods of describing radiation in atoms?

Other methods, such as the Bohr model or the Rutherford-Bohr model, focus on the classical understanding of atoms as tiny, orbiting particles. These models provide a simplified picture of the atom's behavior and do not take into account the complexities of quantum mechanics. TDSE, on the other hand, is based on the wave nature of particles and provides a more accurate description of atomic behavior.

3. Can TDSE be used to describe the radiation of atoms in all situations?

While TDSE is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of atoms, it is not always the most practical or efficient method. In some cases, other methods may be better suited for describing the radiation of atoms, such as the time-independent Schrödinger equation or the matrix formulation of quantum mechanics. The choice of method depends on the specific situation and the level of accuracy needed.

4. Are there any limitations to using TDSE to describe the radiation of atoms?

One limitation of TDSE is that it can only be applied to systems with a small number of particles. This means it is not suitable for describing the behavior of larger, more complex atoms. Additionally, TDSE does not take into account the effects of external factors, such as temperature or pressure, which may impact the behavior of atoms and their radiation.

5. How does TDSE contribute to our understanding of atomic radiation?

TDSE has played a crucial role in advancing our understanding of atomic behavior and radiation. It has allowed scientists to accurately predict the energy levels and transitions of atoms, which has led to advancements in fields such as atomic and molecular spectroscopy. TDSE also serves as the foundation for more complex quantum mechanical theories and has led to significant discoveries in the field of physics.